Preparation for Utes begins

Authors: Nick Piburn

The defending Mountain West Conference champs, the Utah Utes (3-2 overall, 1-1 in conference), are coming to Fort Collins Saturday. Granted it's not the same team that went unbeaten and defeated Big East Conference champion Pittsburgh in the Fiesta Bowl, but they still carry that target of defending champion.

The Rams (2-2, 1-0) began their scout work for the Utes Monday in a short hour and a half practice.

The Rams worked scout team on offense and defense for the majority of practice. Utes quarterback, 18-year-old sophomore Brian Johnson, is the second run/pass dual threat the Rams will face in as many weeks. But Johnson is more of a passing threat than Air Force's Shaun Carney.

"He's a pretty talented kid, and after Alex Smith last year, they're starting to develop a tradition of those type of quarterbacks," said sophomore defensive end Jesse Nading. "If we can get him out of rhythm, since he runs and throws and really does everything, that will be huge."

The Rams will be back at practice today in full pads with a much longer session.

Player of Week

Sophomore punter Jimmie Kaylor was voted Mountain West Conference Player of the Week for his performance against Air Force. Kaylor had three punts for an average of 47 yards including a career-long 57-yarder and one downed inside the ten yard line.

Kaylor leads the MWC with a 45.2-yard average on 16 punts.

Injury Update

Senior center Albert Bimper (sprained right knee, slightly torn left hamstring) is out for the Utah game and will be reevaluated next week.

Junior guard Josh Day (strained left hamstring) is day-to-day.

Tickets

Over 4,000 student tickets were given out Monday, leaving about 5,000. There are also about 500 north end zone tickets sold thus far. Those tickets are being sold for $25, a $15 discount. Athletic Director Mark Driscoll has declared Saturday "Sellout Saturday," challenging CSU fans to sell out the game to show support for the team.