Authors: Katie Kelley

Island Grill

970-266-0124

2601 S. Lemay Ave. #12

Take out and Delivery Available

Hours

Sunday

10 a.m to midnight

Monday – Thursday

11 a.m. to midnight

Friday – Saturday

11 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Specials:

Happy Hour:

3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Everyday

Featuring – $2 off of all menu appetizers

Draft Beers $2.25 for pints

Micro Beers $2.50 for pints

House Wells and Wines for $2.5

Sunday

Sunday Brunch "All you can eat" for $10.95 including an omelet station for personalized omelets

Bloody Mary's and Mimosa's for $1.50 all day

Wednesday

Island Seafood Boil for two from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Thursday

Live Trivia from Beehive productions from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Saturday

$1.50 Bloody Mary's and Mimosa's from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

'American Baha cuisine' sparks a little bit of island fever over Fort Collins

Stepping over the threshold of the Island Grill is more like stepping into a cafe nestled on the beaches of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

With its decadent murals of oceans, palm trees and beaches covering the walls and its spacious dining area adorned with surfboards and faux flowers this restaurant offers diners more than just a bite to eat.

"I wanted to make it feel more like you were in a place that felt like you were on vacation," said Kenny Kuk, co-owner and operator of Island Grill along with Hal Walker. "My first thought was that I would like to stand in any spot in the restaurant and feel like I was looking over the ocean or feeling some kind of island decor."

Local artist, Terry McNerney is responsible for the beautiful wall paintings that give this restaurant the ambiance of a little island fever.

Once you get past the 150 gallon salt water tank, the bamboo and the overall island experience, you'll also find a juke box, five arcade video game machines, a pool table and 15 televisions, which on Sunday have just about every football game imagined playing on each.

Don't forget to check out Kuk's 300 beer can collection that is tactfully framed on one of the walls of the restaurant only adding to this classic sports bar with an enjoyable twist of isle.

"All of our stuff is made fresh," Kuk said. "It's just a very laid back and fun atmosphere."

Kuk said the most popular items on the menu are the Mahi Tacos (with a choice of grilled, blackened or jerked Mahi, two red chile tortillas, shaved cabbage, cheddar cheese, jack cheese and pico de gallo), Chile Relleno Camarones (a Poblano chile roasted and stuffed with Gulf shrimp and seasoned cheeses, then fried and served with chipotle chile gravy, black beans, Spanish rice, sour cream, guacamole and pico de gallo).

Also popular are the Island Fajitas (grilled chicken or Portobello mushrooms, black beans, Spanish rice, peppers and onions, cheddar cheese, jack cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, red chile tortillas, or substitute steak or shrimp for an added $3) and the Big Kahuna Burger (half pound of beef, hot and sour sauce, cheddar cheese, bacon, grilled pineapple ring on a Kaiser roll also served with lettuce, onion and tomato sides include the choice of seasoned fries, sweet fries, Spanish rice or black beans.)

After trying the Big Beef Burrito I was hooked. This burrito is enough to provide leftovers for a next day lunch and is made with ground beef, sauteed onions and peppers, black beans, Spanish rice inside a garlic herb tortilla, and smothered with homemade green chili, melted cheese and topped with pico de gallo, sour cream and guacamole.

For those with a lighter appetite, the salads are also top selling items. There are over nine salads from which to choose, including the Sesame Seared Tuna Salad made with Seared Yellow Fin Tuna topped with Wasabi dressing over tomato, onion, napa cabbage, fresh greens, shaved ginger and chow mein noodles.

One of the rather popular specials Island Grill has to offer is the Island Seafood Boil on Wednesday and Saturday nights. This includes a portion of food to serve two seafood lovers and consists of a platter with crawfish, crab legs, shrimp, Cajun sausage, corn on the cob, red potatoes, red beans, rice and jalapeno corn bread.

Sunday mornings, Island Grill also offers an all-you-can-eat buffet for $10.95, as well as delicious $1.50 Mimosas or Bloody Marys. The brunch includes items like breakfast burritos, homemade fried potatoes and personalized omelets.

To accompany dinner or an appetizer, definitely check out the extensive bar options, including the frozen drinks like the Crazy Coconut (Bacardi Coco, Pina Colada and Ice Cream), or the Mudslide (Vodka, Kamora, McCormick's Irish Creme and Ice Cream). Also try the Island Favorites, which are more martini and cocktail fashioned beverages, which include the Shark Attack, made with raspberry vodka, raspberry and sweet-n-sour, and The Weekender, which includes Bacardi Coco Rum, DeKuyper Melon Liqueur and pineapple juice.

Before concluding your evening at the isle, do try their signature Key Lime Pie, which is out of this world delicious and made from scratch.

"For what we give and the quality of our food, we are a very good value," Kuk said.

If you're in the mood for some Caribbean charisma and some great food, then theirs is a niche to fit your needs. Check out the Sideline Snacks menu all day Sunday and for Monday evening games. The menu offers an amazing spinach artichoke dip with grilled focaccia bread.