Authors: Megan Read

With Hispanic Heritage Month underway, El Centro Student Services has been making an effort to expose CSU students and community members to their culture.

The fourth annual "Evening of Music and Dance" will be held Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theatre. Admission is free and open to the general public.

"Last year the evening of music and dance was really interactive. People were up dancing on the stage at the end," said Zulema Sierra, a junior technical journalism major and member of El Centro.

The event presents students and community members the opportunity to experience a variety of music while learning more about Hispanic culture.

The musical evening will feature performances by Venezuelan artist Juan Carlos Salazar, known as "the new voice of Venezuela" and Junior Political Science Major Tania Vijarro, as well as Venezuelan dancing.

Many CSU faculty members, students and community members also will get to experience Venezuelan cuisine cooked by a renowned Mexican chef Dana Rodriguez and gain knowledge of Hispanic culture as a whole.

El Centro Director Guadalupe Salazar said the National Hispanic Heritage Month Committee, consisting of an array of sponsors from around the Fort Collins community, has helped make people more aware of Hispanic culture.

Salazar also wants to make students aware of the many organizations El Centro has for Hispanic students to join, including several sororities and fraternities, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and the National Hispanic Institute.

Megan Sturch, sophomore health and exercise science major, said she appreciates the fact that CSU helps sponsor minority organizations that make students more culturally aware.

"I think it's cool having cultural people coming in to allow students to experience things they're not used to," Struch said.