Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

Losing to the No. 17 ranked Wyoming Cowboys Saturday, the men's Rugby team dropped their league opener at home, 21-11.

The Rams managed to keep it close, capitalizing on many Cowboy mistakes, but in the end fell just short.

"We controlled the game for the most part," said General Manager Blake Stevens. "They just had some savvy guys that put pressure on us and forced some mistakes."

The team knew that every game would be a physical struggle going into the year.

"We're not the largest team," said Jake Silverman, team president. "Our biggest keys are to play fundamental and utilize our endurance. Our defense will be a strong point."

It was an afternoon of fundamentals in the early going of the season, with both teams making, by their own barometers, too many mistakes. The time just ran out on the CSU squad.

"We had a few mistakes on key possessions," Stevens said. "Without some of the turnovers, we could have had some more points on the board."

Stevens said the win against New Mexico was a lot cleaner. Against Wyoming, CSU spent a majority of the 80 minutes short-handed.

"Wyoming plays a frustrating style," said head coach Matt Hoffmeister. "We weren't on offense a whole lot, and that always makes it tough to score."

The team remains positive, however, as there is plenty of season left to play.

"I think our team is really coming together now that we have some consistent coaching," Hoffmeister said.

The B-team did pull out a victory over the weekend improving their record to 3-1 on the year, as the A-side fell to 1-3. The A-side also took home a win in the annual alumni game earlier this month.

The next home game for the men's team is Friday on the intramural fields at 7 p.m., when the Rams host the Denver Barbarians.