Authors: Kathryn Dailey

A toast was given in thanks to Bob Everitt and the Everitt family Friday for their gift of $2.5 million to the College of Business, the largest the college has ever received.

The Everitt family and Everitt Companies were honored in a ceremony in Rockwell Hall dedicating the Everitt Real Estate Center in the College of Business. Of the money given to the college, $2.4 million will go to the real estate center and $100,000 to the dean's leadership education initiatives for business students.

Everitt, who had three grandchildren attend CSU, said he was overwhelmed and honored when he found out the real estate center was being named after his family.

"My wife (Joyce) and I have been involved with CSU almost since the day we moved to town (in 1953)," Everitt said. Everitt Companies have been in Fort Collins for 52 years.

Some of the major contributions the family and their associates have given to the university over the years include gifts to the Morgan Library Campaign, the McGraw Athletic Center, the College of Business and the B.W. Pickett Equine Center, according to a press release.

"CSU is the economic engine that has made Fort Collins the city it is today," Everitt said.

Everitt also created the Summit Investment Fund, a program allowing students to invest in the stock market.

"(This gift) is phenomenal," said Christopher Webster, senior finance and real estate major . "The Everitts have been incredibly generous, especially with the Summit Fund."

The real estate center at CSU was established in 2000 in the Department of Finance and Real Estate.

CSU President Larry Penley said the real estate center will, "encourage the teaching program in finance and real estate, fund research and encourage outreach and engagement in the community."

Courtney Healey , president of the Associated Students of CSU, said the gift is a great thing for the university.

"It's encouraging to see such support from the community," Healey said.

The Everitt family and companies is dedicated to making CSU the best university possible, Everitt said.

"Generosity is defined as love in our family," Everitt said. "I love CSU."