Authors: Nick Piburn

CSU vs Nevada slideshow

The offensive struggles the CSU Rams have had in the first quarter so far this season were non-existent Saturday against Nevada.

For the first time all year the Rams got their running game going early. Sophomore running back Kyle Bell took advantage of his first career start to rumble for a career high 115 yards on 18 carries in the first half alone.

The Rams came out pounding the run, running with Bell the first four plays. CSU then used play action to set up sophomore Johnny Walker wide open for a 26 yard touchdown reception. Walker finished the game with four catches for 120 yards and one touchdown.

The Rams continued the first quarter domination, totaling 21 points and 161 yards of total offense.

The offensive domination shifted to the Wolfpack of Nevada for the next two quarters. While the CSU offense stalled their drives Nevada junior quarterback Jeff Rowe worked the short passing game to get the Wolfpack back to within a touchdown entering the forth quarter.

Bell and the Ram rushing game proved to be to much for the Wolfpack in the forth quarter. Bell finished the night with 183 yards on 33 carries and one touchdown. Bell’s yards were the most for a CSU running back since Henri Childs rushed for 237 yards at BYU in 2001.

“They played hard and fought their way back into the game. The game goes back and forth for two quarters, and they were kind of creeping back in the ballgame,” said head coach Sonny Lubick. “We just have enough weapons, and we got some field position on turnovers there in the forth quarter to put the game away.”

The running game also allowed senior quarterback Justin Holland to pick his way through the Wolfpack defense for 223 yards and three touchdowns completing 15 of his 27 pass attempts.

The Rams have a quick turn around next week when they begin Mountain West Conference play hosting Air Force Thursday.

Game Stats

Nevada CSU
1st downs   22   24
Rushing yards  95 257
Passing yards  324 223
Total offense 419   480
Penalties 4-20 yards   6-48 yards
Forced turnovers 1 3
Time of Possession 29:30  30:30
Sacks  0 2

Player Stats 

Rushing carries yards  Td
CSU      
Kyle Bell 33 183 1
Damon Morton 1 40 1
Gartrell Johnson III 7 20 0

UNR

B.J. Mitchell 17 53 0
Robert Hubbard 6 42 0
Jeff Rowe 7 1 0

Passing Att Com yards Td Int

CSU

Justin Holland  15 27 223 3 0

UNR

Jeff Rowe 23 34 324 3 2

Receiving Rec. yards Td

CSU

David Anderson 6 68 0
Johnny Walker 4 120 1

UNR

Kyle Sammons 7 103 1
Nichiren Flowers               5 73 0