Authors: Sarah Mast

Getting from one side of campus to the other without being interrupted by a solicitor may be difficult.

Whether it is on the Plaza or in the residence halls, solicitors have found seemingly endless ways to reach students in hope of promoting their product.

One of the more recent accounts of illegal soliciting reported around campus included men and women selling magazines as part of a contest to become a radio disc jockey.

"A magazine salesman walked into my dorm room to try to get me to buy a magazine subscription," said Lauren Bryant, a freshman speech communications major .

According to rules and regulations set forth by Housing and Dining Services, unauthorized soliciting in residence halls is a direct violation of the University Solicitation Policy.

"No direct or indirect sales or solicitation by commercial enterprises is allowed in residence halls," said Allison Fox, assistant director of residence life.

Not only are solicitors not allowed in the residence halls, they are not allowed in on-campus apartments either.

Groups interested in advertising in the residence halls or apartments must first request a permit to hang posters in the hallways or set up information tables in the lobby. These tables are to be solely for informational purposes or for recruitment, Fox said.

Residence halls are not the only place on campus putting limits on solicitation. Non-CSU vendors are not allowed to solicit inside the Lory Student Center unless it takes place at a reserved Flea Market table located on the main level of the student center.

The Flea Market is open everyday classes are in session.

In order to be a part of the Flea Market, non-CSU vendors must have a student organization sponsor.

The cost for non-profit organizations to be a part of the Flea Market is $60 per day, half of which is contributed to the student organization that was chosen as a sponsor.

The charge for other organizations is $100 per day, half of which is also given to the student organization sponsor.

Campus groups interested in promoting their events must also first contact the Event Planning Office before being permitted to advertise their events to students within the student center.

With the exception of the Flea Market, Cpl. Yvonne Paez of the CSU Police Department said solicitation is not usually acceptable on campus or in the residence halls.

Soliciting on campus is considered a general misdemeanor resulting in a citation as punishment. The solicitor must then appear in court and pay a fine, determined by the judge. Depending on the location, the solicitor could also be cited for trespassing, Paez said.

"I think that it is a good thing soliciting isn't allowed in residence halls because it makes a very uncomfortable situation for the student," Bryant said.