CSU students hit the screen

Authors: Dominic Graziano

Film director Mark Piznarski returned to Northern Colorado last week, bringing with him all the glitz and glam of Hollywood.

A scene for the new movie, "Looking For Sunday" was being filmed at the Cloverleaf Kennel Club in Loveland.

A casting call was sent out in the form of fliers, e-mails, mailings and newspaper articles, looking for extras for the dog track-inspired scene.

Piznarski, who attended college at University of Northern Colorado, spent a lot of his college career at the dog tracks.

"It was here, I lost most of my student loans," he said to the crowd of extras gathered at the dog track.

According to Producer Donna Dewey, the number of extras greatly outnumbered the number of crewmembers at the event.

"We have about 60 to 80 crewmembers here, as opposed to around 200 extras," she said.

One CSU student who hoped to be an extra was Jackie DeHayes-Rice, a junior biosciences major.

"I was active in theatre in high school and this seemed like something different to do [for the] weekend," DeHayes-Rice said.

DeHayes-Rice said her roommates also were supposed to go, but "they all bailed."

"Looking For Sunday" is a movie that takes place in Denver. Piznarski, who wrote the screenplay for the movie, said it was loosely based on his college years.

"No matter what you do, you always end up writing about yourself and your life," he said.

The movie is about two college students who are at a crossroad in their life and hanging on to what they know, Piznarski said.

"I don't want to grow up either," DeHayes-Rice said. "I plan to put it off for as long as possible."