Authors: Megan Read

For more information visit http://www.bss.colostate.edu/ or visit the BSS office located in room 204 of the Lory Student Center.

CSU's Black Student Services served up some African American cultural awareness on the Lory Student Center Plaza Tuesday during their third annual Soul Food Fest.

CSU students purchased authentic cuisine, listened to gospel music and learned more about culture and BSS.

"It's the beginning of the year and kids are far from home and don't have home-cooked food," said Athena Mitchell, a sophomore human development and family studies major and member of BSS. This event offered students a chance to get a taste of home away from home.

For $6, students could enjoy the selection of fried chicken, collard greens, red beans and rice and cornbread while listening to the music of Devoted to Christ of Denver and CSU's Voices of Unity.

The proceeds from the event will help fund future cultural enhancing programs.

Tangerine Graham, junior political science major and BSS member, said the event draws students' attention to what BSS has to offer.

"We want people to be more aware about us. We want to attract people to our booths and see our many programs," Graham said.

According to the BSS Web site, a goal of the office is "to enhance students' knowledge of the culture, history, heritage and traditions that are unique to the African American experience."

The Soul Food Fest was one of the first events in an ongoing series of cultural awareness programs BSS will host this year.

Some of the many programs BSS offers include peer mentoring for freshmen and transfer students, an annual fall retreat, community outreach, various Black History Month programs and an annual awards ceremony that recognizes the accomplishments of black students.

Monthly "Knowledge for the Soul" chats also give students a chance to listen to guest speakers share information about history, culture, careers and more.

Graham encourages students to find out more about BSS and the opportunities it offers.

"The best idea is to check our Web site but you can also come in, chill, hang out and have fun with us," Graham said.