Authors: Joanna Thomas

In terms of CSU's enrollment, quantity may be low, but quality remains high.

There was a slight decrease in total enrollment for the 2005-2006 school year, but CSU continues to attract accomplished students.

Mindy Nichols, director of counseling and visitor services in the admissions office, said CSU's total enrollment of 24,942 students is a 1.7 percent decrease compared to last year's enrollment of 25,382.

First-time resident freshmen enrollment decreased by 56 students to 3,156, while non-resident freshmen totals declined 129 from last year's high of 737 students

Although admission numbers are lower, Nichols said incoming students continue to enter with higher credentials. Freshmen have an average index score of 112.5.

According to the Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE), CSU's index score for admission is 101.

Additionally, average entering freshmen bring a 3.54 grade point average.

"I think our incoming freshmen class continues to be higher achieving students," Nichols said.

Another positive note, she said, is that enrollment of minority students has increased by 71 percent, to a new high of 2,950 students.

"That really shows that CSU is moving in the right direction," Nichols said.

This year, the University of Colorado-Boulder also saw a decrease in total enrollment.

Lou McClelland, (CQ)es director of planning, budget and analysis at CU, said the university saw 5,007 incoming freshmen for the 2005-2006 school year. Overall enrollment at CU dropped by 2 percent, from 29,258 to 28,624.

McClelland attributes the reduction to a plan that reduces applications in order to moderate growth at CU, and not from increased tuition.

"Applications were well down before increase of tuition for 2005," McClelland said.

Nichols said none of the admissions requirements at CSU have changed thus far. Upcoming changes in admissions include ensuring students complete the Pre-Collegiate Curriculum, which are high school courses students need to complete before coming to CSU or any Colorado institution. Those changes will go into effect for the 2008 school year.

The average high school GPA of incoming CU students stayed the same at 3.53, an all-time high for CU. And minority undergraduate enrollment similarly increased at CU by 1 percent, from 3,572 to 3,541, McClelland said.

Jeremy Doster, a freshman business major, said the decrease in admissions at CSU and CU might have something to do with 15 percent increase tuition and the alcohol-related deaths on each campus last year.

However, Doster, a native of Fort Collins and graduate of Poudre High School, said location probably did not contribute to lower admissions

"We're in a pretty great place," he said.