Authors: Matt Starr

The World of Outlaws sprint car series traveled to Rocky Mountain National Speedway (RMNS) in Denver, Tuesday, bringing with them the best sprint car drivers in the nation as well as CSU.

Thirty-one cars came out to race in the World of Outlaws race at RMNS, the final appearance at the venue this year.

Things started out with an exciting qualifying round as the top five qualifiers were separated by less than one-tenth of a second. The qualifying round is held on a track less than half a mile long, where racers can achieve speeds exceeding 105 mph.

Among those in participation was CSU senior mechanical engineering student, Nick Haygood. Unfortunately luck was not on his side. He flipped his car coming out of turn four in his qualifying run. He returned to the pits uninjured, but done for the night.

Once the qualifiers had been determined, two six-lap dashes were run to determine the starting lineup for the main event. The top six finishers in this round get the advantage of lining up on the inside of the track.

Two types of cars are involved in the Outlaw Racing circuit. The first features a 410 cubic inch, 850-horsepower engine. The second is considerably smaller at only 360 cubic inches and run at around 200 horsepower less than the 410s. Drivers of the 360 usually don't make it to the final round, but compete against each other for cash prizes.

Daryn Pittman, despite starting fourth and trailing drivers Paul McMahan and Shane Stewart for most of the race, played his cards right and wound up winning the race in 27 laps. Rain cut it from it's scheduled 35.

"Even if we'd had to run the last eight laps, I'm pretty confident we'd still have got it done," said Pittman in a post-game interview with Brownsfield Promotions. "Luckily, Mother Nature was on our side."

The World of Outlaws will now head to the Eagle Raceway, in Eagle, Neb. for the Short Track Nationals this weekend.

For more information about the World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series visit their Web site: www.worldofoutlawsracing.com