New Theater To Open

Authors: Julie Abiecunas

Sept. 14 marked the first day of a production being put on in the new Studio theater located in the Old Fort Collins High School building. The Studio was constructed using a donation from the Bohemian Foundation, and according to professor Laura Jones, offers a lot of advantages over the old Black Box theater.

"The most unique feature is the total flexibility in designing the actor-audience relationship," Jones said. "The seating can be traditionally configured…or parallel with the audience…or even totally in-the-round arena style."

Head of Public Relations for the Music Department, Alana Minor, said events to be held in the new center will include student and faculty productions and senior thesis presentations.

The first event to be held will be "The Odd Couple", directed by Jones, which rather than featuring two men will feature two women.

"We aimed for a combination in the characterizations of Desperate Housewives, Sex in the City and Friends," Jones said. "It also deals with the age-old problem of maintaining a friendship when two people become roommates."

The Odd Couple will run in The Studio, Sept. 14-18 and 22-24. Tickets are $6 for students, $10 for seniors and $14 for the general public.