To the Editor

Dear Editor,

Jake Blumberg's article "Alaskan Oil: It's time" is a great example of what's wrong with American culture today. Drilling in Alaska is a mere band-aid. We will run out of oil eventually, so rather than whine about how much it costs to fill up, Mr. Blumberg could try riding his bike or walking to school. God forbid he trade in his SUV or truck for a nice Prius and put the extra $600 a year saved from gas into our ever-rising tuition.

Sincerely,

Allan Ewert

Junior

history major

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

Mr. Lundberg's conclusions about Referendum C are misleading. I think everyone here on campus can agree that ANYTHING that can be done to keep tuition costs under control and to improve facilities must be done. "Out of control" state spending depends on the eye of the beholder: our current governor is notorious for his lack of support for the education system in general and Colorado ranks in the bottom five of public school funding.

I think this reflects on secondary education as well. Investment in human capital has many tangible gains and even more intangible gains, and makes for both good business sense and societal well being.

To those who are opposed to Referendum C, I would urge you to consider that those of us who are college age, are the future, and the more students who can afford to go to school, the better our state will be. Taxpayers Bill of Rights (TABOR) is part of the problem; Referendum C is a life ring. Amending TABOR to help education will be the way to really fix things permanently.

Tim Bessler

senior, computer information systems & German language

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

The free concert given in honor of Sam Spady last Sunday was really tremendous. The music was fantastic, and I was very impressed with Spady's artwork that was on display.

The sorority and fraternity members (and others) who put the concert on did a great job. They are to be commended for not letting the anniversary of Spady's death go by without remembering her and her family in a significant and meaningful way.

I also appreciate their efforts to support the cause of alcohol abuse and the Spady Foundation.

Randy Stahla

Greeley, Colo.

To the editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I am not a Greek. I am not a conservative. But I am getting a little tired of all this hypersensitive, ultra-liberal nonsense as well as these campaigns like "I Am." The aim of all those posters and all those "new labels" is rendered absurd from the beginning. Anything that can be applied to any group of people (like I am a scholar, I am a homosexual, I am a feminist) cannot be applied to a single group if the aim is to make that particular group standout. The whole thing is an ill-fated attempt on the part of the Greek community to change their image without changing their essence – as well they shouldn't.

Philanthropy on the part of the Greeks has always been a pretense – a reason for them to get together and fill in the time that they are not socializing. Some of the Greeks take their philanthropic duty very seriously and I commend them. But service and volunteering are not the reasons people join social fraternities; they join them to socialize and those who aren't interested in their mission should leave them alone.

As a student organization they do represent the university – or an aspect of it. That aspect is networking and social development. Take a random survey of all the Chief Executive Officers in the United States and I would bet a large majority were, at one time, boozing Greeks who are years later still benefiting from the connections they made in their fraternities and sororities. And if you say the university doesn't benefit from these groups then why don't you tell that to all the Greek alumni who give back donations. They now have little reason to do so, despite the fact those groups typically maintain a stout allegiance to their Alma Mater.

Simply put: the university is not the parents of these people, neither are you moral-crackpots and Pollyannas. If they want to drink and have parties I say eat, drink and be merry! If laws are broken and people need to be held accountable, we have the police – that is why they are there; and eyeing over the blotter lately, I reckon they probably have the time to do it.

Sterling R. Quinton

B.A. candidate for teaching licensure