Authors: Trevor Edy

The men's club soccer team opened up their season with a 3-0 win against the University of Northern Colorado at home early Saturday afternoon.

"The pace in the first half was a little slow, but we found a way to pick it up in the second," said sophomore goalkeeper Ben Roberts.

With no real solid scoring opportunities in the first half, the Rams stayed focused to take the lead in the second half. Dustin Searle finally put the Rams on the board in the 53rd minute with a goal from just inside the penalty area.

"We definitely controlled possession for most of the game," said head coach Merv Johnson. "Our defenders did a fantastic job in the back."

Senior Steve Krebsbach notched the Rams' second goal on a cross field pass from standout freshman Parker Hendrix with 10 minutes left in the game.

"Parker showed very well today," Johnson said.

Three minutes later, the Rams scored on a penalty kick to make the score 3-0 and put the game out of reach for the Golden Bears to come back.

The Rams come into the season ranked No. 2 in the nation, in the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association, after losing at the national finals last year.

They look to move into the number one spot sooner rather than later.

"This year we are looking to bring back the big trophy and put a banner in the Rec center rafters," Krebsbach said.

The Rams will travel to Utah next weekend for three games. They will play Salt Lake Community College, Weber State University and Utah State University.

CSU's next home game will be Sept. 21 at 4 p.m. on the intramural fields.

The men's full schedule is available at the Campus Recreation website: http://campusrec.colostate.edu/