Authors: Lindsay Reiter, Kathryn Dailey

Fraternity and sorority leaders have been reeling since their campaign to strip the Greek community's "Animal House" image crumbled in the face of recent alcohol violations.

Five sororities and three fraternities were disciplined for participating in "Rise and Ralph" parties held Sept. 1.

Kevin Selvy, president of the Interfraternity Council, explained where the idea behind the parties came from. In the past, sororities would be on lockdown during recruitment. The lockdown ends at 5 a.m. on the last day, and some of the women go out and drink with friends.

"It isn't a case of people getting drunk at 5 a.m. and then throwing up and blacking out. It was more like a few drinks and then passing out or going to class," Selvy said.

The tradition seems to have grown in attendance, said Mark Koepsell, director of Greek Life.

"(The Greeks) have been successful in keeping it from me in the past, but due to the large scale participation this year it was brought to my attention," Koepsell said. .

The consequences of the parties affected the Greek community. The Pi Kappa Alpha (PIKE) fraternity was withdrawn as a student organization at CSU.

The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, the Chi Omega and the Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta) sororities were all suspended from participating in any Greek-related activities for one academic year.

The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi and Gamma Phi Beta sororities were all placed on social probation for one academic year.

"I feel the university did what they had to do," said David Smith, president of Sigma Phi Epsilon, regarding the punishment, although he felt it was severe. "Sometimes people need that kick to get things back on track."

With the exception of the PIKE national office, none of the chapters have disputed the rulings.

"Pi Kappa Alpha's national office has indicated that they will not follow our lead and pull their charter. They will be allowed to operate as a rogue chapter," Koepsell said.

As a rogue chapter, members of the PIKE fraternity will no longer be associated with the university, but will still hold their charter with the national organization.

"The entire Greek community, including individual chapter members, chapter leaders and national representatives, has been very positive," Koepsell said. "They are taking ownership of what they've done and handling the consequences like men and women."

Members of Tri Delta and Pi Kappa Phi were unable to comment on the incident based on instructions from their executive office.

Representatives from the Tri Delta sorority recently visited the CSU campus to investigate the alleged violations of university policy. Until the preliminary investigation is complete, "the chapter is prohibited from holding any functions or activities pending the completion of the Fraternity's investigation," said Amber Scott, staff writer from the Tri Delta executive office.

This semester marked the beginning of the "I Am" campaign, a series of black and white posters depicting 16 different members of the Greek community and their various values and backgrounds. The campaign was meant to correct the typical image of Greek Life and let people know that it is not all about partying.

"It's a constant battle to change our image," Smith said. "(The Greeks) are changing, and we want to work with the university."

Koepsell stressed that CSU and the community will not tolerate illegal drinking among chapters.

"My heart goes out to the members of the Greek community who have worked so hard and continue to work so hard because they have lost the most," Koepsell said.