To the Editor

Mr. Waddingham's article "Pathetic Preparation and Response" in Wednesday's edition of the Collegian, was extremely ironic.

Waddingham harshly criticizes the U.S. Government for their lethargic response to Hurricane Katrina, and the atrocities being committed by the lawless people. "Four days of starvation, rape, murder, filth, and countless other indecencies that are nauseating to think about…The government is supposed to help people in situations such as this, not neglect them and turn the other way." Many others agree with Waddingham on this point, but don't you find it ironic that these same "indecencies" as he called them were being done in Iraq every day, and yet the government is scorned for wanting to stop Saddam's regime from committing many of these same acts?

Does this mean our government is only to protect against these crimes when it is American people being victimized as opposed to suppressed Iraqi citizens? Furthermore, why are people so quick to criticize the government for their response time, but no one holds the people shooting at the troops accountable for slowing that process down? We live in such a great nation; it disappoints me to see that so many are willing to criticize others for a responsibility they would never take on themselves.

Emily Miller

Junior

To the editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I am writing concerning Ryan Fedel's article on archery that was in Thursday's paper. I am so glad to see the sport getting some kind of press. After traveling to over 20 countries in the past seven years competing for the United States. in archery, I had yet to see an article like his. One problem with the article is that he forgot to talk with CSU's own U.S. Olympic Archery Team member, me. I was the alternate on the team and got to travel to Greece and practice with the team. Also I would like to add CSU does have a recognized archery team in the eyes of not only the National Archery Association, but also the world governing body Federation Internationale de Tir a l'Arc. Over this summer I competed on behalf of CSU and won the World University Games. With only my score, CSU is ranked seventh in the world in archery. I hope Ryan's article got to the students of CSU and I hope to see some of them at Arrow Dynamics.

Brian Christensen

U.S. Archery Team Member

World University Games Champion

Freshman

Open-Option

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

As a police officer with CU, I find it nice to know the knowledge of who the better team is and was, is universal among law enforcement.

As always, thank you to the players and fans of CSU for a great game. And to my son, Matt, a CSU student, go Buffs.

Michael Lowry

To the editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I'm writing in response to "GREEKS BUSTED" which immediately caught everyone's attention. Honestly, sororities and fraternities have been consuming incredible amounts of alcohol since the beginning. So that means these particular houses did it to a point where serious disciplinary action had to be taken. This kind of behavior should not be excused. People come to college to learn, to study and to pave a path to a future career. I'm glad to hear those indiscretions earned probation; it needed to be done. I would never want to live in a house in which the initiation process they want me to undergo is drinking until I vomit. What, no test of wits? No test of moral strength, of academic commitment? What exactly ARE they doing over in those houses? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that MANY fraternities and sororities are not as irresponsible, and I respect them for that. They have earned the right to call themselves Greeks. But come on now; is drinking alcohol really worth giving all those hard-working Greeks a bad name? It's unfair, irresponsible and completely unnecessary. Try studying instead of drinking yourself into social probation.

J. Connors

Sophomore

Technical theatre major