Authors: Nate Ramos

Kirsten Anthony wasn't really expecting anything unusual for her performance this weekend. Considering her 15 minute and 3 second 2.5-mile-run at the Wyoming Invitational, second-place overall, maybe she should have.

"I did not expect to get the Mountain West Athlete of the Week award," said Anthony. "I was surprised, but really excited about this award."

Anthony, who was a red shirt freshman last season, got the opportunity to run for cross country in her first match and never looked back.

Anthony said she finished well, not because of her workouts, but because of her

coaches.

"Listening to my coaches played a huge role in my success in Wyoming," Anthony said. "It was a quick race and it felt good to be out there. Especially after all the advice I got."

As far as the future is concerned, many have high expectations of Anthony's abilities.

"Kirsten is a great athlete and did really well in Wyoming," said teammate Danielle Korb. "She will be crucial to this team and will be an impact player this season."

As far as personal expectations, she wants to help the team out and do her best. Her expectations will be challenged on Saturday at the New Mexico Invitational.

"It will be a bigger and longer race. We will race against Western, Adams and several others," said Anthony. "I don't know what to expect as I'm still learning but I will do my best. I just hope I can improve on what I did at Wyoming."

After a promising start, the sky is the limit for the young athlete. Anthony said every meet can present a new challenge but she's set the bar high for herself.

If the first meet was any indication of things to come, that bar will continue to climb.