Authors: Sarah Mast

For more information on Referenda C and D or to find out how to donate to the campaign, visit www.VoteYesonC-D.com

Anyone interested in participating in the walk can visit www.thecoloradowalk.com for more information.

State senators participated in a rally on the Lory Student Center Plaza Tuesday afternoon to inform students about significant upcoming ballot issues.

"(We are here) to increase awareness of the extreme importance of Referenda C and D," said state Sen. Bob Bacon, D-Fort Collins.

The referenda, two of the most prominent issues coming up in the November election, were designed to give money to help improve schools, provide health care and lower health insurance costs and keep colleges from increasing tuition costs.

If passed, Referendum C would allow the state to keep a possible $3.1 billion over the next five years, which would otherwise be returned to taxpayers under the Taxpayer's Bill of Rights (TABOR).

A projected 30 percent of the $3.1 billion would be slated to help community and state colleges increase need-based financial help, merit-based financial aid and the College Opportunity Fund.

If passed, Referendum D would work alongside Referendum C by providing up to $50 million for improvements and repairs to the facilities at state universities, colleges and community colleges.

Supporters of Referenda C and D started walking across the state Saturday promoting the issues.

The walk began on the Wyoming border and is expected to end at the Colorado-New Mexico border Oct. 8.

"The walk is to help raise awareness about the issues and how they affect us. College tuition keeps going up so the referendum is important to help keep public education public," said James Gleeson, campaign director for The Colorado Walk. kd

An average of 25 to 30 people have been participating in the walk each day, but Gleeson said he expects around 200 people to participate in the Denver area.

"Students should be concerned about rising costs in tuition. If is it not passed there will be no state support," Bacon said.

Some students have already become aware of the necessity of the referenda to higher education.

"By passing the bill we can support the business community as well as the educational community. It will save taxpayers money in the future," said Jon Read, senior economics and political science major.

Those involved in the campaign are urging students to get involved and interested in the election.

"Be involved. Everyone should be very invested in this. This is your education, your roads and your healthcare," said Amy Krok, a senior social work and political science major and president of the CSU Young Democrats.

Bacon said passing the referenda is absolutely critical to higher education.

"(Referenda) C and D are the ballot issues that are most important to the students' future," Bacon said.