Different year, same result

Authors: Nick Piburn

Two days after the disappointing loss to CU, head coach Sonny Lubick reflected on the game at his press conference Monday at C.B. & Potts.

"After reviewing the tape I still just am very pleased with the effort our football team gave forth," Lubick said. "They really played, I thought, extremely well for the first game."

There were several questions that came out of this game, one being the health of starting running back, junior Nnamdi Ohaeri, who sprained his ankle in the first half and never returned. The injury is being reported as a high ankle sprain and will be further evaluated later in the week.

"I don't know when he'll be back, the way things work with those type of sprains I'd say he's out four to eight weeks," Lubick said. "I haven't talked to the doctors so I don't know. I'm hoping a sprain, but from past experiences those specific types seem to go longer than a week to two weeks."

With Ohaeri out, sophomore Kyle Bell will move into the starting role at running back, but senior Jimmy Green will continue to get carries as well.

One reason the Rams were able to utilize a two running back set is due to their depth at running back. But with Ohaeri out, it's uncertain as to whether they can still work with that scheme. There is also the question of whether Bell will be able to block as well as he needs to.

"We go in thinking he would be the individual to carry not all of the load but probably more than 50 to 60 percent" Lubick said. "We had an interception contributed to pass blocking. Nnamdi was pretty darn good at that, now we got to see if Kyle (can). Those guys got to step up and block, not just run the football."

Probably the biggest doubt from the game was; why squib kick at the end of the game when senior place kicker Kevin Mark has shown he can consistently force touchbacks in the end zone?

Looking back Lubick wishes he would have done things differently.

"I'd probably rethink the kicking situation," Lubick said. "We could have made that tackle somewhere around the 17, nine out of ten times you make that tackle inside the 20, or around the 20, but you still got to go play defense."

The Rams next opponent is Minnesota, who ran all over the Rams last year. In the Gophers first game against Tulsa, junior running back Laurence Maroney ran for 203 yards. The Rams know exactly what type of team Minnesota is, now they just have to control them.

"We'll face probably a better running offensive team this week, maybe as good as we'll face all year until we get to Air Force," Lubick said. "They put up 310 yards last week, that's what they do, they run the football."