Authors: Jenna Lynn Ellis

I am working for the White House this semester as an intern in the President's Office of Media Affairs.

It's a remarkable time to work for the president, in light of the confirmation hearings for Judge John Roberts and other key events and issues facing our nation.

As part of my intern application and interviews, I was asked which of the president's polices are most important to me and why.

I responded: President Bush's commitment to stand firm against legal pragmatism is most important to me. Our constitution was ratified on the principles of inalienable rights and declared self-evident truths. These principles are therefore absolute, unchangeable and commonly seen. In our postmodern culture, the justice system has taken to declaring law based on the arbitrary whim of society, changing to rally our fluid pleasure impulses.

The president's stance on pro-life, the definition of marriage as one man and one woman and his ability to counter the cultural agenda of immorality in the private sector are extremely significant constitutional issues and his policies are sound.

While strong policies are imperative for all issues, the policy directly affecting the culture, the nature of society and our children is what most deeply influences the future direction of our country.

I believe our nation was founded on the principles of morality and personal freedom through understanding personal restraint.

Bush is a great leader for the future of our nation because he understands the importance of adherence to morality in public life as well as personal life. I believe he holds a very good balance between government legislation and personal freedom in this regard.

I consider it a privilege to work for this particular president. Of course, it is always an honor to be a part of the inner political mechanism that moves and shapes the United States of America, but I could think of no better time to be in the White House than under the direction of this extraordinary leader.

I had the opportunity to meet Bush for the first time during the campaigns last fall, where I was a volunteer. After his speech, the president came among the crowd and when he came to me, I shook his hand and said, "I am praying for you, sir."

He looked me in the eye and said simply, "Thank you." Then he reached out and gave me a hug. I was struck by the genuineness that becomes this president. In this, both his personal and public persona, I deeply respect him.

Over the course of this semester, I will be writing occasionally about my time in Washington, White House issues and the president.

It is my hope that even those at CSU who do not support Bush will read this column and if nothing else, gain an appreciation for the man within the presidency and those excellent men and women surrounding him who comprise the Bush Administration.