Authors: Nicole Barrett

Live Safe 101

– 1 class

– focuses on education

– for students who do not drink excessively

BASICS

– 2 sessions

– meeting with clinician

– review online assessment

Beyond Basic

– 2 week seminar

– group setting

– for students with repeated offenses

– focuses on how to be successful

– DAY IV graduates speak at meetings

Choosing Well

– voluntary

DAY IV

– required

– most intensive

– for students facing expulsion

– meet weekly with a counselor, have a case manager

– six to eight month program

– mandatory four month abstinent from drugs and alcohol

Too many drunken parties or nights spent stoned can erode the opportunities students have for their futures.

Substance abuse in college varies in intensity as not every student has the same drinking and/or drug habits.

Drugs, Alcohol & You (DAY) is a program focused on intervening with dangerous levels of substance abuse. An online assessment of drinking habits and behavior determines the level of students' need.

During the assessment, students will be asked questions to decide which program will be the best fit, said Lisa Miller, director of DAY programs.

"The program is tailored to the student," she said. "The assessment gives individual feedback about the student's strengths, costs and health."

For students who are fearful of giving truthful answers regarding their risky behavior, they need not worry.

"Students are not punished for telling the truth," Miller said.

Instead of thinking in terms of negative consequences, DAY aims for a higher goal.

"We want students to be more successful in their lives and at school," said Anne Hudgens, executive director of campus life.

The DAY programs vary in length and intensity in order to better serve students. Students can be referred to the program or volunteer themselves.

The first level, Live Safe 101, consists of one 3-hour class, which focuses on the realities of college drinking, including statistics of actual use, myths and discussions.

The next step is BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention of College Students), which is for students with drinking problems. Students meet individually with a clinician and form goals. Students must also make another appointment within a month of their first visit to measure their progress.

After repeated offenses students go to Beyond BASICS, a two-week seminar in a group setting to discuss their choices and behavior focusing on how to change to be successful.

For more intensive help students go to Choosing Well, if they volunteered for the program, or DAY IV if they are required to attend. Both require students to visit a counselor and case manager weekly, be abstinent from drugs or alcohol for six-to-eight months and ultimately stay at school.

Each level of the program is to help students be more successful in their futures.

"Ultimately we hope to change behavior," said Pam McCracken, director of Alcohol Education and Prevention at CSU.

At CSU, students have an array of issues, which means one program will not be effective for everybody.

"You have to do everything. There isn't a one-size-fits-all program," Hudgens said.

More information is available through the DAY offices, (970) 491-4693.