Authors: Jennifer Johnson

It's good to be a Ram and students old and new can show off their green and gold spirit with several events and programs offered to celebrate and promote CSU pride.

"Ram Pride for first year students kicked off with Ram Welcome, where students participated in their first CSU traditions like painting the "A" and learning the CSU fight song and alma mater," said Tonie Miyamoto, Communications Coordinator for Housing and Dining Services. "In the first few weeks of class there are several opportunities for students to come together and show support for CSU including the first football and volleyball games of the year, the President's Fall Address and University Picnic and Cans Around the Oval."

Miyamoto said it is important for students to become involved with their campus community, and according to statistics, students who are involved in their school maintain higher Grade Point Averages (GPAs) and get more out of their college experience.

Miyamoto also said one of the best ways for students to make connections and get involved is to join a student organization.

"We provide a lot of opportunities on campus for student organizations. In the residence halls and university apartments there is the Residence Hall Association (RHA), Hall Council, GUIDE (Gaining Understanding through Involvement, Diversity and Education), Central Programs and many more," she said. "This fall, first year students have the opportunity to take a free, non-credit RAM Connections Mentoring program that is designed to help students transition to CSU."

The eight week program connects small groups of students with a faculty or staff mentor, as well as an upper-class peer mentor in order to explore ways of getting involved and utilizing resources on campus, Miyamoto said.

"It's a great opportunity for first year students to learn more about CSU and find support on campus," she said.

Aside from the several organizations and events happening around campus, Associated Students of CSU (ASCSU) and the Student Alumni Connection (SAC) are all about CSU spirit and Ram Pride.

"Getting involved is a way to give back to the campus community and also expand your own experiences," said ASCSU President Courtney Healey . "Being involved reflects Ram Pride because it shows others that you care about the CSU community and that you take pride in the betterment of campus."

Healey encourages students who want to get involved to stop by the student organizations desk on the lower level of the Lory Student Center. She feels most students do not realize CSU has over 300 student organizations that students can get involved in.

"There are many organizations on campus that work to promote school spirit. I would argue that every single student organization acts with school spirit just by being involved," Healey said .

The SAC is another student organization dedicated to keep Ram Pride and CSU history and traditions alive. They encourage relationships among past, present and future Rams, through social events, leadership development and connections with alumni.

"Ram Pride creates a feeling of family within the university. SAC tries to get students connected within the CSU community early, so after graduation, students will come back as alumni to support the school at homecoming, football games and other events," said Sira Sartori co-president of SAC. "Our goals are to involve students in the traditions at CSU and educate students on their alma mater."

SAC organizes several events in which all students are able to participate and show off their school spirit. April is the official Celebrate Colorado State month, when students can show their love for the green and gold. On "I Love CSU Day," members of SAC join students on the plaza and help celebrate CSU pride.

"This surprises many students and shows that CSU, the Alumni Association and Student Alumni Connection want them to be just as excited to be a Ram as we are," Sartori said

Sartori said that getting involved is important to the success of students while at the University.

"Students can participate in events, join organizations or take on leadership roles to enhance their experience. Involvement on campus nourishes students with the necessary skills they will need after college," she said.

For students looking to become more involved in SAC, membership is free and open to all CSU students.

"School spirit and Ram Pride make your college experience better because it's a commonality shared by all CSU students," Healey said . "The more attached to your fellow students you are, the more fun you are likely to have."

"College is so much more than classrooms and degrees; it's a life experience that you only get a few years to take advantage of, so students should maximize that experience by acting with Ram Pride and by getting involved."