Authors: Danielle Yuthas

The robust flavor that emanates from Everyday Joe's Coffee House is not solely in the coffee. It is a venue for the arts and for the community to connect.

The biblical quote on the wall reads; "The generous prosper and are satisfied; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed." Proverbs 11:25 encompasses what Everyday Joe's is about.

Opened two years ago, Everyday Joes, 144 S Mason St., was started by Timberline Church, a local Christian organization. Last month alone, Everyday Joe's raised $144 for charity, and donations are given to local causes.

Joe's is always looking for benefactors. The current list includes Neighbor to Neighbor, Food Bank, Fort Collins Preschool, CARE housing to benefit victims of the August 1 fire, and Habitat for Humanity.

Local bands perform on weekends and artists are free to display their art. At Everyday Joe's the walls are currently populated with the work of Joshua Fletcher, a photographer from Fort Collins. The exhibit will be on display until September 5.

His pictures mostly feature people from all over the world. His mission is to "bring out who the person is visually, instead of passing them by". He spent a year sailing on a hospital ship capturing "real people and real life".

Many customers are greeted by name and with the question, "How's life?" The baristas work on a volunteer basis. Diana Sitzman said, "I serve God by serving others" and that is why she works at Everyday Joe's for free instead of somewhere where she could make money doing the same job. She explained how everyone who works there does so because they love the coffee shop and its patrons instead of only being there for the money.

It is unusual to hear of pouring coffee as a ministry service or buying a cup of coffee as an act of charity, but at this coffee shop, it is. Coffee house manager Jessica Byous said, "We want to be part of a solution; we put the community first."

The coffee at Everyday Joe's is French pressed and served European style. An assortment of drinks is offered, hot or over ice. One of the specials this month is "The Gorilla," a chocolate and banana flavored cup of coffee.

The coffee shop also offers high-speed wireless Internet access, computers with Internet that have available printing, and conversation nooks. The computers and furniture were donated through the Church.