ASCSU passes bylaws

Authors: Caroline Welch

The Associated Students of CSU passed the bylaws for the board that will oversee allocation of the student facility fee Wednesday.

Jon Muller, vice president of ASCSU, who was the author of the bill, said that the bylaws must be passed by the ASCSU senate before the board can begin allocating the $10 per credit hour student fee that was added June 15.

"We believe it is a good document," Muller said. "We recommend that the vice president of student affairs accept the bylaws."

If the vice president of student affairs accepts the bylaws, the bill will continue through the CSU president Larry Penley, and the Board of Governors, Muller said. If the bill passes the Board of Governors, the facilities board can begin allocating funds for renovating campus buildings.

"We could see construction as soon as next semester, depending on the size of the project," Muller said. "The smaller the project, the sooner we will see construction."

The Clark Building, the University Center for the Arts are among the first buildings considered for renovation, according to Brian Chase, director of facilities management. Adding a business minor and bringing the computer science building back to campus are also under consideration.

The senate also debated whether or not ASCSU should endorse Referendums C and D, which will be on this November's ballot, and deal directly with TABOR and funding for higher education.

"The bill is intended as a catalyst more than anything," Liberal Arts senator Daniel Palmer. "It looks like C and D will not pass, and we need to create a dialogue on this issue."

The goal of the bill, according to Palmer, has two parts. One is to endorse the referendums and the other is to collaborate with other universities to get the bill passed.

"The more people we have voting on this, the better," Palmer said.

Refernedum C regards state spending and Referndum D regards state borrowing, according to the state legislature's documents, provided by director of legislative affairs of ASCSU, Alec Jefferies. Proponents of Referendum C say that it will provide money for things like higher education, while those against it say the referendum is just a tax increase.

Referendum D permits the state to borrow up to $2.072 billion with a $3.225 billion repayment, and requires that the money be used for transportation projects, education (both K-12 and higher education). The referendum will take effect only if voters pass Referendum C. Proponents say that everyone benefits from these projects, while those against it say the referendum is too vague and that the state should not go further into debt, according to the same documents.

Some members of ASCSU were concerned that the bill stated only that they would endorse the referendums, not how they would do it. According to ASCSU president Courtney Healey, paid members of ASCSU are not allowed associate with their ASCSU position while promoting issues on campus.

"Senators can endorse issues on campus," President Healey said. "But you have to leave your title off if you are paid employee."

ASCSU is also prohibited from using their printers and copiers to create brochures and other literature to promote legislation.

But, Liberal Arts senator Mark Settle, said the issue isn't how they will carry out the bill.

"This is a resolution to express our opinion and distribute information as we see fit," Settle said.

The bill was voted back in to committee, which means the authors will re-visit the document, make changes and bring it back to next week's senate meeting.

"The committee can kill it if they want to, but I don't think that will happen," said Healey. "I'm very excited to see students on this issue. It will be influential and have serious consequences for higher education."