To The editor

I'm writing in response to Ben Bleckley's column in the Aug. 22 issue. His oversimplified timeline and assertion that terrorist action is a valid form of military resistance shows the epitome of wrong-headedness. Mr. Bleckley, you mention the Balfour Declaration on your timeline, but you don't say that the declaration stated that the Jewish homeland should include all of Judea, Sumeria and most of Transjordan. You don't mention that the English conflict between the Ottoman Empire during and shortly after World War I (ever seen Lawrence of Arabia) and England's realization that they couldn't rule so many disparate tribes of people led them to offer powerful potentates areas for the original Balfour Agreement just to keep things under control. You also fail to mention the English response to Jewish immigration to the region in the years between Balfour and 1948, when the English authorities fired on, turned back and sunk many ships carrying Jewish refugees fleeing torture and death at the hands of oppressive regimes in Russia, Eastern Europe and Nazi Germany.

As for the 1949 Armistice Agreement, it didn't stop Syrian soldiers shooting into the areas around the Kenneret (The Red Sea), picking off young Zionists as they washed for Shabbos dinner or Jordanian soldiers firing into Jewish-held Jerusalem.

Also Mr. Bleckley, I must take issue with your omission of everything between 1967 and 2002. What about the hijackings engineered by Yasser Arafat (The Raid on Entebbe), the killing of the Israeli Olympic Delegation in Munich, the First Intifada in 1987, the Second Intifada in 2000 (just after Arafat was offered 97 percent of the land he terrorized Israel over for thirty-five years).

Lastly Mr. Bleckley, what democratic nation on this earth other than Israel has been hogtied by the international community when its security has been overwhelmingly compromised by terrorists? The answer is none. During the most intense fighting between British and Irish National Forces, the UN never once issued a Security Council Resolution condemning the British forces, yet every year since 1987, the UN has done exactly that to Israel, yet not one to the Palestinian Authority for failing to prevent terror. And lets not even think about that in terms of the fact that the UN Security Council has yet to condemn the authorities of truly repressive regimes such as Sudan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Indonesia.

Mr. Bleckley, if you're going to form an opinion about something, better get all the information first, and if you're going to foment your opinion to others, you might want to have at least a slight appearance of knowledge and equanimity.

David Fleischer

Graduate Student, creative writing