Authors: Elena Ulyanova

For many students, independence in college also means independence from their parents' wallets.

With the parental cushion of financial security no longer available, students often get jobs to help pay their expenses.

Janeen Sivon, assistant director for student employment, said last year 6,308 students had jobs on campus, and 2,278 students received off-campus jobs through Student Employment Services. Additionally, many students found jobs off-campus not through Student Employment Services.

Job listings posted on RAMweb, CSU's online access to registration and personal information for students, are one of several resources Student Employment Services has to assist students in finding jobs.

About 10 to 15 employers on and off campus contact Student Employment Services daily. The listings are read over by the staff and are posted online.

Freshmen were notified of this service during preview and flyers will be posted in residence halls during the first week of classes.

"We try to get our name out there so that they know that you don't have to go look through the paper, we have these services available through student employment," said Susan Gonzalez, administrative assistant with student employment.

Student Employment Services divides the job listings into eight categories; clerical computer, child care, general labor, food and beverage, healthcare, retail sales, lab research and miscellaneous. However, Sivon said students tend to go for the well-paying jobs.

Some students desire other qualities in their jobs.

"I think students look for something with flexible hours, that works into your schedule and pays decent at least," said Justin Rome, a senior anthropology major.

Rome works part time at That's a Wrap, located in the Lory Student Center food court. He said he decided to get this job for beer money and to pay the bills.

Hany Khattab, a senior biology major, has a different reason for getting his job at the Rams Bookstore, 130 W. Laurel St.

"I got a job so I could pay for my college," Khattab said. "My parents don't pay for it. I like being financially independent and I needed a way to pay for food and living."

As a freshman at CSU, Khattab walked into the Rams Bookstore during his winter break. The store happened to be hiring to prepare for the book rush before the start of the next semester. According to Khattab, it is not as easy for students to get jobs anymore.

"You have to go during the beginning of the summer. There are so many students and so few jobs available." Khattab said.

Sarah Ryan, a freshman sports medicine major, said she is planning on finding a job. She was informed about the job listings on RAMweb during Preview and found it to be useful, but thinks it will still be hard to find a job in Fort Collins.

"I have talked to people that have lived out there for a while and had a hard time finding a job," Ryan said.

Another option for students seeking financial help is the work-study program. Need-based work-study can be awarded by filling out a Free Application for Federal Student AID (FASFA). Merit work-study can be awarded to students who locate a job directly related to their academic major. The application can be filled out in February to start to next academic year.

The Career Center also can help students find career-related internships, permanent part-time jobs and full-time jobs.