Authors: Nick Piburn

Graduating high school and a retirement from organized competitive athletics are generally one in the same. Most high school athletes aren't able to earn scholarships, which shatters any dream of playing intercollegiate sports.

However, the way for a college student to come out of retirement is to play on a collegiate sports club team. Sport clubs offer many intangibles that aren't found in varsity sports.

Karri Smith, Associate Director of Sports Programs, said that Sport Clubs provide more opportunities than intercollegiate sports. These opportunities include a variety of sports to play, from non-traditional sports such as underwater hockey, to traditional sports like baseball. All these sports operate with no funding from the university.

Some other non-traditional sports offered at CSU are bowling, cycling, men's and women's rugby, team handball and men's and women's ultimate frisbee.

"Another great part about Sport Clubs is the type of student development involved with it," said Smith. "The students do everything for their respective teams. They're like mini athletic directors with everything they have to set up and organize."

Sport clubs can also give an incoming student a chance to get involved in the activities of the university.

"Sport clubs give students the chance to explore everything CSU has to offer, and give students the ability to do an activity with other students that have common interests," said Trineice Durst, assistant director of club sports. "Probably the most important things sport clubs offer are being involved, feeling like you belong on campus and also being a part of the winning tradition."

A winning tradition is definitely a major attribute that CSU sport clubs possess. In the past, Rams club sports have been defined by the success of the men's lacrosse team, winning National Championships in 1999, 2001, and 2003.

While men's lacrosse may have finished with a solid season, last year was highlighted by the baseball team's second consecutive National Championship. Women's lacrosse also had a strong season, finishing second at their national tournament.

A highlight for CSU Sport Clubs on an individual level is trap shooter Logan Killam, who has been invited to two Olympic tryouts for his ability with a shotgun.

While the success is always great, the one thing that gets CSU students to come back to Sport Clubs is the competitiveness.

"Competitive people are able to play clubs to get that rush, as compared to intramural sports," said Nellie Stisser, a member of the women's soccer team. "The people you meet out there makes you want to come back and play, just to compete on the team with those people."