Summer’s green paradise

Authors: Nick Piburn

Summer brings many opportunities to relax and enjoy the Colorado summer weather; there are still big decisions to be made, though. Maybe the biggest question one will ask is, "What do I want to do with my day off?"

If you want to golf one of the best public course in Fort Collins, then Collindale Golf Course, 1441 E. Horsetooth Road, is where to go.

With trees lining both sides of nearly every hole, and greens fast and mostly on a slope, Collindale is considered the most challenging course in Fort Collins. It also boasts some of the best-kept greens in the state.

"Our whole maintenance crew is all scratch golfers," said Collindale employee Courtney Jost. "They all want to keep the course in great shape, because they want to play a course that's taken care of."

Not only is the maintenance crew keeping the course in great shape for themselves, they're also keeping it up for the United States Golf Association. The USGA is the organization that puts on the U.S. Open. There is a U.S. Open qualifier May 23 at Collindale, in which golfers from all over the region will be vying for a spot in the national tournament.

In addition to the U.S. Open qualifier, Collindale is also hosting Colorado Golf Association junior events, and a golf tournament hosted by the CSU's Baseball team at the end of the month.

Collindale also has the best practice area by a long shot, along with a great driving range. The range is all grass, as compared to artificial turf of other courses, and the practice green is large and in great shape.

To hit a quick nine it will cost $16, and for a full 18 the price is $26. The cost is comparable everywhere in town considering City Park Nine and SouthRidge are exactly the same.

The front and back nine of Collindale are very similar in style, but the back seems more enjoyable to play. It starts with Collindale's signature hole. The 10th hole features a straight-away tee shot lined with trees just off the fairway and a pond near the green. The 11th hole follows as one of the most eye-catching and toughest par-3s around, forcing you to split the fairway through trees on either side.

If there's one thing that every hole has in common at Collindale, it's the color. There isn't a dried up brown spot on the fairways or greens.

"This course is in really great shape right now, we got green a lot earlier than usual," said Jost. "This can be an easy course if you stay in the fairway, but if not it can be tough."