Authors: JP Eichmiller

Locally renowned Mishawaka Amphitheatre is set to open its summer concert season just as CSU finals are ending. Mishawaka, located approximately 13 miles up the Poudre Canyon, will host "Pickin' on the Poudre," a collaboration of local and national bluegrass artists, the weekend of May 14 and 15.

The festival was put together through the effort of CSU students and features many musicians attending the university.

The festival marks the return of not only music but also camping to the grounds of the amphitheatre. Last year Mishawaka closed off its on-site camping as a result of complaints from the Colorado State Forest Service over parking and land-use issues. The amphitheatre is hoping that space renovations as well as an increase in camper and concertgoer awareness will help to avoid the issues of previous years.

Students who regularly leave for the summer, as well as those new to the area, will now have the opportunity to experience an array of bluegrass sounds in one of the state's most unique settings. The "Mish," as it is known locally, virtually overhangs the roaring Poudre River, offering a picturesque view unique to Colorado.

The amphitheatre has an attached restaurant and bar and is conveniently located near numerous hiking, mountain biking, off-roading and rafting facilities. Combined with the on-site camping available, CSU students will be able to enjoy an experience usually postponed until later in the summer season.

The two-day festival is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. May 14 with the Chicago act Leadfoot. Following acts include Jeff Miller, Whitewater Ramble, Benny Galloway & the Broke Mountain Trio, eventually concluding with the all-CSU string quintet Head for the Hills in a two-set closer.

The music on May 13 will begin at 1 p.m. with Wildwood Holler and continue with Slipstream, The Hot Strings and Shanti Groove. The festival will conclude with a compilation performance of artists playing to benefit the Conscious Alliance, an organization dedicated to providing assistance to Indian reservations, and Rock the Earth, a nonprofit group seeking to increase environmental awareness.