Authors: Dominic Graziano

Saturday marks the 24th annual Kinetics.

For those of you who are scratching your head in confusion, here is a definition of the event. Kinetics: a day of partying on the scenic beaches of Boulder Reservoir. Oh yeah, there's also a race.

Since the race is one of the less important parts of the day, I will start with that. The race is about 4 miles long with 12 transitions between land and water. Dozens of teams get together every year to make a land- and water-steady craft. The crafts that are made often have themes such as "Martha's Minions" or even "Nuns for Hire."

With the race out of the way, that leaves only one thing: spending hours under the hot sun at the base of the lake. With checkpoints at the front gates, it is a little hard to sneak in your own refreshing beverages, but worry not oh ye faithful. Thanks to corporate sponsorships, you can pick up a cold drink at one of many tents.

Just make sure to bring your ID. It isn't just beverages that bring you to the plethora of ATMs around the event: There are also many food tents, offering comestibles from burritos and tacos to burgers and fries.

What with the hot sun, the race in the background and the overpriced food and beverage you would think you had enough to be having the time of your life, but it doesn't end there.

KBCO, a Boulder radio station, as the main sponsor of Kinetics, has made sure to keep its patrons entertained with live music. This year's festivities include Kenny Wayne Shepard and hip-hoppers Ozomatli.

Kick off summer the right way, at the closest thing to a beach Colorado offers, the Boulder Reservoir. Its about an hour-long drive, parking will cost you around $10 and the food and drink could gouge you for even more. But at the end of the day, I guarantee you will have had your fill of fun, sun and an all-around good time at Kinetics.