Authors: Jessica Brooke

Summer in Fort Collins means several things: The intersection of Shields and Elizabeth streets becomes tolerable; warm nights can be spent on the roof of Tailgate Tommy's; and most importantly, Brewfest comes to Old Town.

Brewfest is an entire weekend of sun, fun and beer. I suggest people request June 25 and 26 off from their lame summer jobs so they can partake in the magic of the 16th annual Colorado Brewer's Festival.

According to www.downtownfortcollins.com, more than 300 kegs of beer will be poured beginning at 11 a.m. on June 25. Festivities wrap up at 6 p.m. both nights, but don't worry; all the Old Town bars will be waiting.

People can buy a weekend pass for $10 or a Sunday pass for $6. There's plenty to do if they're younger than 21. There will be live music, vendors and hacky sack galore. However, people of legal drinking can buy magical wooden tokens for $1 that allow them to sample any Colorado beer of their choice.

At this point, Brewfest becomes slightly less fun. People take their Brewfest plastic memorabilia cup and choose a region of Colorado from which they would like their beer. Then they stand in a Disneyland-long line.

The lines move fairly quickly, however, and there are plenty of inebriated people to watch during the wait.

There will be a ton of food, and people can buy anything they never knew they wanted.

As a Brewfest veteran, I offer this advice: People should decide how much money they want to spend before they go and leave their ATM cards at home. A $35 straw cowboy hat with seashells will start to look appealing after a few hours of sampling beer.

Take water. The body metabolizes alcohol differently in 90-degree weather.

There is a designated-driver program; take advantage of it. The Downtown Business Association is accepting volunteers for the designated-driver program as well as various other positions. As a volunteer, people receive free admission and a T-shirt. Volunteers must be older than 21 and those interested can call 484-6500 for information.

Breakout box:

What: 16th annual Colorado Brewer's Festival

Who: Solely Colorado breweries will be represented. Fort Collins breweries: Anheuser-Busch, Big Horn Brewery, CB & Potts, Coopersmith's Pub and Brewing, New Belgium Brewing Co., and Odell Brewing Company.

Where: Old Town, entrance is on Mountain Avenue.

When: June 25 and 26, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Volunteers: Must be 21 years of age or older and will work four-hour shifts throughout the weekend. The Downtown Business Association 484-6500 is accepting volunteers.