Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

Three weeks after women's basketball head coach Chris Denker resigned, a player has requested a transfer.

Annika Walseth, a sophomore from Bloomington, Minn., has requested a transfer from CSU, said John Kietzmann, multi-media coordinator for the athletics department. Denker resigned on April 5 and his assistant coaches resigned as well.

Walseth, a 6-foot-1-inch guard, said she hopes to transfer to a school in the Midwest to be closer to home and is considering a few schools that recruited her out of high school. She has not decided where she will go but said she plans to continue playing basketball.

A practice was canceled Feb. 8 to hold a closed-door meeting between the team and athletic department administrators. Walseth expressed frustration with how problems were dealt with and on-going problems with the basketball program, but she did not elaborate.

"It's just not something I want to be a part of," Walseth said. "Just the whole thing that's gone on with the coaches. I was frustrated with how the whole situation was handled. It's not something I'm proud to be a part of."

Her decision was made final after Denker and his assistant coaches resigned.

"I had a very good relationship with the coaches," Walseth said. "I just can't see myself here with the coaches gone."

Walseth played in all 28 games this past season, starting 19 and averaging 22.5 minutes per game. She averaged 2.5 points and 3.2 rebounds. Walseth finished third among Mountain West Conference players with a .400 3-point shooting percentage in her freshman year, averaging 3.6 points and 1.7 rebounds per game. Her average of 18.2 minutes per game was second best among freshman on the team.

Walseth said she enjoyed her time at CSU and plans to stay in touch with several of her teammates. Other players were not available for comment.

"I really liked CSU," she said. "I enjoy the school and the atmosphere and enjoyed playing basketball."