To the editor:

I'm tired of hearing the debate between liberals and conservatives about the use of bumper stickers or signs supporting John Kerry. At best, the argument is irrelevant. But in reality, it is harmful since it becomes a distraction to all the issues that really matter. Too often, we concern ourselves with issues that really don't affect us.

Take the issue of gay marriage. Does it hurt anyone if two men or two women want to get married? Why is it that conservatives want to make this such an issue? If you actually read the Bible, Jesus was more concerned with feeding the hungry than if two same-sex people want to get married. Realistically, this should be a non-issue since (as the rhetoric goes) there is supposed to be a separation of church and state in this country.

Let's also look at the issue of insensitivity. C'mon, liberals, but there are more pressing issues. As the saying goes, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Now, I am a liberal and I think that everyone should be treated equally, but when someone says something that I think is "insensitive," I don't just complain to whomever I please. Wouldn't it be more productive if we put more effort into helping those who truly need assistance?

I must say that in the past, I have argued over pointless topics. At least I realize where it got me: NOWHERE! So instead of wasting our time arguing about bumper stickers, let's do something beneficial with it.

Chris Turnbull-Grimes

Junior, civil engineering