Ram shines in Penn Relays

Authors: Amanda Havekost

CSU senior thrower Loree Smith was the sole Ram sent to compete in the 111st Penn Relays held at Franklin Field in Philadelphia Thursday.

During her first time competing in the relays, Smith beat out the competition by more than 9 feet and took first place in the weight throw with a toss of 206-8.

Smith's win was bittersweet since her main competition, Candice Scott from Florida, fouled out of the event.

After winning the weight throw, Smith spoke with CSU media relations at the Penn Relays.

"This is a pretty prestigious meet, one of the biggest I've been to this year," Smith said in a news release. "I'm a little disappointed that Candice fouled out."

As if Smith's victory in Philadelphia Thursday wasn't enough, she went on to win the hammer throw after hurling it 220-8 at the Don Kirby Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M., on Saturday. With the throw, she broke the CSU and Mountain West Conference record of 219-11 3/4.

The men had five first-place finishes this weekend.

At the Don Kirby Invitational, senior Tom Waido took first in the 110-meter hurdles, clocking in a season-best time of 14.87.

Freshman Ciarre Campbell placed first in the long jump in his first meet for the Rams after finishing spring football drills.

Sophomore Trey Eder won the shot put, freshman Jason Schutz won the discus with a personal best and NCAA-qualifying throw, and senior Adam Trainor placed first in the hammer throw.

The 4×200 and sprint medley women's relay team runners – senior Katrice Thomas, sophomore Janay DeLoach, sophomore Megan Fox and junior Becky Hammitt – demolished two CSU records in two days.

The team broke the 4×200 school record of 146.32 from 1977 Friday in Des Moines at the Drake Relays when they finished in 138.91. They also broke the school record of 4:01.72 in the sprint medley relay with a time of 3:57.99 Saturday at the Don Kirby Invitational.

Clearing 20.0 1/4 in the long jump, sophomore Janay DeLoach cleared the 20-foot barrier in competition for the fifth time in six weeks and finished third at the Don Kirby Saturday.

The Rams will be back in action May 11-14 when they host the MWC Championships at Jack Christiansen Track.