Authors: Megan Buettgenbach

Tide Coldwater comes in "Fresh Scent" and "Glacier" scents in both liquid and powder form.

Suggested retail price for 100oz. is $6.99

CSU's spring cleaning includes possibly switching all its washing machines to cold water to save money, and a new Tide product may assist in the effort.

Some students who live in the residence halls received a free sample of Tide Coldwater on April 19 to see if the product meets their approval.

Cam Elvheim, project manager for the Department of Housing and Dining Services who saw this opportunity for CSU to save money and energy, started the whole process.

"I contacted Tide so people could see if they liked it and got 5,500 free samples," Elvheim said."(CSU) does about 152 loads of laundry per week in the resident halls and apartments. It'd be a huge savings if we used cold water instead of hot."

A team of directors will see how the program goes and will probably implement it this summer, Elvheim said.

"When students come next year, it'll be already in place." Elvheim said.

If students do not like the idea and complain, the program is changeable, Elvheim said.

Besides saving the university money and energy, the cold-water switch could also save students who live on their own money if they decide to do the same.

"Tide Coldwater is a new laundry detergent Procter & Gamble has specially formulated to deliver deep cleaning in cold-water washing which launched in February 2005," wrote Tide spokesperson Randall Chinchilla in an e-mail interview. "The key difference between Tide Coldwater and other products is that Tide Coldwater is the first detergent to save energy and money and to take better care for their clothes."

The reason CSU is trying Tide's product is to save money that could be used elsewhere.

"CSU is not in a position of product promotion; instead we are just trying to be more energy efficient. That is our goal," Elvheim said.

Some students appreciate the work CSU is trying to do for the environment.

"CSU is doing a great job of bringing environmental sustainable efforts to campus," said Adam Kremers, a junior environmental engineering major. "I love seeing that we are setting an example for other universities."

Chinchilla wrote that Tide has not been contacted by other universities but is open to working with any that show interest.

Kremers and other students gave students samples on Earth Day and encouraged them to try the new product.

"I think it's good to use because it saves money on your energy bill, and it's the same thing but with cold water," Kremers said.

It could be advantageous for students to use Tide Coldwater even if they do not live on campus.

"With gas prices on the rise, college students should appreciate the need to save money and energy especially with the benefit of getting your clothes clean at the same time," Chinchilla wrote.

Another part of Tide campaign is the Coldwater Challenge, which reached its goal of having 1 million consumers pledge online to save money and energy by switching to Tide Coldwater.

"The Coldwater Challenge was a word-of-mouth campaign where consumers could register for the free sample and forward the offer along to their friends," Chinchilla wrote. "In connection with the effort, Tide Coldwater donated $100,000 to the National Fuel Funds Network, an organization that assists state and local organizations that help low-income families pay their energy bills."

Besides the money and energy benefits, Tide Coldwater makes it possible to wash clothes in one load, instead of separating them into lights and darks.

"It's easier on your clothes when you wash in cold water, and you can wash your clothes together, although I would dry them separately," Elvheim said.

Even if the university makes these changes, students still have the decision whether or not to use the new detergent.

"It's our job (as students) to follow through and do it," Kremers said.