To the editor,

Thank you for providing the CSU community with the thought-provoking column written by Ryan Chapman that appeared in Wednesday's Collegian. Wow! What a nugget of perspective.

Maybe I can write my own opinion column for the Collegian; I do have abundant stories about things not happening according to plan, but still having a great time – much like the topic of Chapman's column today. Was this story really worthy of publishing?

Congress debating the energy bill, the Colorado Eagles winning game one of the President's Cup last night, the allegations against Tom Delay, Joey Porter donating $200,000 to the CSU football team – all current issues that seem to provide much more substance to the campus. If the Collegian is to really be a first-rate college newspaper, I think its columnists need to challenge the student body on today's issues, not anecdotal stories.

Ryan M. Donovan

Graduate Student

Agriculture and resource economics

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Shortly after the selection of a new pope, Tyler Wittman's opinion article misrepresented several of the Catholic Church's teachings. Unfortunately, I do not have 607 words at my disposal, but please allow me to address one of these issues: the Church's position on the papacy.

Perhaps the most misunderstood teaching, for Catholics and non-Catholics alike, is the idea of papal infallibility. From lifeteen.com, "Infallibility does not mean that the pope does not or cannot sin, nor does it mean that the Pope does not or cannot say things that are false. It means that when he speaks in communion with all the bishops with the intent to instruct the people of God on matters of faith and morals, his teaching is completely in accordance with the Gospel of Christ."

But what gives this authority? By cracking open a Bible, one could turn to Isaiah 22:22 and read about how God appointed Eliakim and gave him "the key of the House of David." Similarly, turning to Matthew 16:19 one would discover Jesus giving a sinful Peter "the keys to the kingdom of heaven." Just as Eliakim's authority was to be passed through the ages, so too is Peter's authority in the papacy.

Additionally, Wittman notes that Pope Benedict XVI's papacy will be a

"short one." Well, the average papacy has been no more than eight years, so please define "short."

Sadly, my space is up, but maybe Wittman should stick to analyzing the NFL draft before starting a theological debate.

Zach Meier

Junior

Mathematics major