Authors: Dominic Graziano

One beneficial thing about a band recording its newest addition to the music world in town is the definite possibility of a fun-filled concert.

Detroit's own Suicide Machines have been shacked up at the Blasting Room (an independently owned recording studio at 1760 Laporte Ave.) since the beginning of April. The band has been in and out of town ever since, but patrons of the Starlight Theatre Thursday were lucky enough to have all four members performing within the city limits.

The show began with Denver's own Whiskey Kiss. This three-piece includes all the necessities: a guitarist/singer, a bassist and a drummer. Whiskey Kiss's set started off with a bang and kept the crowd moving the entire time.

This band may have been performing onstage, but it was easy to see that the members were just as excited to see the Suicide Machines as the kids in the mosh pit. Halfway through the set Whiskey Kiss' bassist cut one of his fingers on his strings but just kept playing. The energy this band blew through the monitors was only a small taste of what was to come.

After Whiskey Kiss got the audience going, local legends Bill The Welder kept people moving. Bug, the enigmatic front man, performed in his usual attire of underwear and a see-through guitar. Blazing through 15 songs about topics ranging from lobster boys to impossible bowling scores in 40 minutes is this band's claim to fame, and the members did a mind-, and speaker-, blowing job of it.

When Bill The Welder left the stage the crowd seemed to only get more excited. Usually concert crowds tend to break up and mingle during the time between bands, but when people were standing there waiting for the Suicide Machines to take the stage, the anticipation could be easily felt.

Finally the moment came. When the lead singer grabbed the microphone and threw the stand to the side many people knew what was coming. They launched into the song "Break The Glass" with an intensity that can only be imagined when listening to the song any way other than live. The entire crowd was singing along throughout the entire song, only raising the bar for the singer.

The next couple songs kept the crowd coming back for more. The band would thrash through a song and the crowd would push back screaming for another. When the band got to the more ska-driven song "High Anxiety," the entire pit was dancing and shaking the floor to the rhythm.

The Suicide Machines' set was full of old and newer songs. One newer song they played, called "All My People," had the entire crowd chanting along with the chorus. The band even played some unreleased tracks off of the CD it is recording. These unreleased songs flowed right in with all of the older ones, keeping the audience entertained and dancing throughout.

By the end of the band's set the entire crowd had been singing along for about an hour. The Suicide Machines ended the night with "New Girl," and it was easy to see that a large portion of the crowd was going to be hoarse the next day after screaming along with the lead singer for the band's last song of the night.