Authors: Nick Piburn

The Rocky Mountain region's lacrosse is being dominated by CSU. The men's lacrosse team will attempt to make it two-for-two this weekend for CSU conference championships.

The women won The Rocky Mountain Women's Lacrosse League Saturday beating Colorado. The men will try to do the same Friday and Saturday in Greeley.

The Rams are the Men's Division of Intercollegiate Associates No.1 team in the nation and the No.1 team in the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Conference regular season. The team ended its season April 16 against Colorado in the "Rocky Mountain Showdown" at Shea Stadium in Highlands Ranch.

CSU came out slow and fell behind 2-0 quickly in the first quarter against CU. Head coach Flip Naumburg called a quick timeout to get his players to rethink some strategy.

"We changed a matchup or two, and settled down a little," Naumburg wrote on csulacrosse.com. "We started playing better and seemingly tighter defense almost immediately, but our offensive jitters or whatever remained."

The jitters did not last too much longer though, as midfielder Pat Bird scored consecutive goals to give the Rams a lead they would not give up.

Though the Buffaloes didn't lie down, the Rams won the showdown 12-9.

While CSU has been practicing all week for RMLC Championships, the real story may be the weather. With storms expected over the weekend, it will be interesting to see if they are strong enough to make a difference this weekend.

"They are already talking about moving our Friday night game to sometime earlier and less convenient Friday afternoon," Naumburg wrote.

"Everyone is scurrying around to make sure the RMLC Championships in Greeley this weekend come off without a hitch, but any way that you look at it, we are in the hurry-up-and-wait phase," Naumburg said.

The way the tournament is set up, the matches will be No.1 CSU vs. No.4 Utah at 7 p.m. Friday, and No.2 Brigham Young with No.3 CU at 5 p.m. Friday. The winners will play Saturday at 4 p.m. for the championship.

A CSU club team clinched another regular season conference title over the weekend. The baseball team clinched the Rocky Mountain North Conference regular season with a three-game sweep of Wyoming, outscoring the Cowboys 50-13 for the weekend, including a season-best 27 runs on Sunday.

The Rams were led by conference Player of the Week Micah DeHenau and conference Pitcher of the Week Andrew Abell.

"Right now everything is clicking on all cylinders pretty well," said infielder Charles Silverman. "Winning it all is what is going to make all of this worth it. Anything else is going to be below expectations."

The Rams have consecutive doubleheaders at home Saturday and Sunday against CU. The Rams also have regionals coming up against the Rocky Mountain South Conference champion, who has not been determined.