Authors: Jim Lawn

2005 NCAA West Regional Tournament Field: Arizona (No. 17), BYU (No. 42), California (No. 25), CSU (No. 50), Denver (No. 77), Georgia (No. 5), Georgia State (No. 45), Illinois State (No. 65), Northwestern (No. 44), Oklahoma State (No. 7), Oral Roberts (no. 84), Oregon (No. 34), Portland State (No. 94), San Francisco (No. 46), Stanford (No. 24), Tennessee (No. 9), UC Irvine (No. 29), UCLA (No. 2), UNLV (No. 26), USC (No. 16) and Washington State (No. 23).

It was around 1 p.m. on Monday in CSU women's golf coach Angie Hopkins' office. The mood was tense while the CSU women's golf team awaited the call.

The call was from the NCAA officials, informing the team that it had been invited to compete in the NCAA West Regional Tournament.

"The team met in my office and when the conference called, we were all ecstatic." Hopkins said.

The Rams, who finished third in the Mountain West Conference Tournament over the weekend, will compete in Las Cruces, N.M., May 5-7. It will be their first trip to the tournament since 2002.

"It was a goal we set in the beginning of the season, and it feels great to be able to achieve our goal." Hopkins said.

In her third season as CSU head coach, Hopkins has guided CSU to seven top-five finishes in 2004-05, including a team title in the 2004 Ptarmigan Ram Fall Classic. This season her accomplishments were recognized as she was named as the co-Mountain West Conference Coach of the Year on Sunday. She will share the honor with Brigham Young's Sue Nyhus. Hopkins is only the second women's golf coach in CSU history to earn the title.

Senior Kristen Campos earned a spot on the all-MWC team. Campos, a senior from Mesa, Ariz., claimed all-Mountain West honors after firing a seven-over-par 220 in the MWC Championships, good for third place in the event. Campos and senior teammate Trisha Quick tied for team honors this season with a 75.89 stroke average, and she earned three top-10 finishes

Fellow senior Lynette Duran received the Mountain West Sportsmanship Award with a 76.46 stroke average for the Rams in 2004-05. Duran had two top-10 finishes this season and finished in a tie for 12th at the MWC Championships with an 18-over 231.

The Rams, who are ranked No. 50 in the latest Golfweek/Sagarin index, will be one of 63 teams in this year's championships. Three regional tournaments will be conducted to determine the national championship field. CSU is one of 21 teams competing in the national tournament-qualifying regional. The Rams are ranked 15th out of the field of 21.

The CSU men's golf team's lone senior, John Hayes, also received accolades for his performance this season. Hayes was names as the Mountain West Conference Co-Golfer of the Month. Hayes shares the honor with Spencer Levin of New Mexico.

Hayes entered April with a 73.54 stroke average and only two sub-70 scores in 26 rounds played. In his two tournaments played during April, Hayes lowered his season-stroke average by almost a point (73.54 to 72.84), had three sub-70 rounds and posted his first two top-10 finishes of the year.

Hayes began the month tied for sixth place at the Arizona State Thunderbird Invitational in Phoenix. He carded a three-round score of one-over 214 (69-73-72) on the 7,025-yard, par-71, Karsten Golf Course. This weekend, Hayes continued his strong play at the Ping Golf Cougar Classic in Provo, Utah. He finished tied for fifth with a 54-hole score of 11-under 205 (71-65-69), including a career-best seven-under 65 in the second round.