Authors: Megan Schulz

University officials have approved a plan to demolish Ellis Hall and create a new "Academic Village" in its place by fall of 2007.

Ellis Hall resident Amy Nesler said the 50-year-old building has shown signs of aging.

"I think it's probably good they're tearing it down because it's one of the older buildings on campus and it needs renovating," said Nesler, a sophomore natural resources management major. "That makes it more difficult at least to live here."

However, Nesler, who lived in Edwards Hall last year, said she has enjoyed living in Ellis this year.

"As far as I know, we have no freshmen. It's all sophomores and above," Nesler said. "(In the rooms), there is also only half the furniture but the same size room as a double."

The decision to tear down Ellis Hall and build a new facility is not based on a need to meet the demands of a growing CSU population, said Mary Ellen Sinnwell, director of Residence Life.

"Since we house predominantly the freshmen class, that number is static, not changing or growing," Sinnwell said. "We're (just) updating our housing facilities. Many of our halls are showing their wear and tear. (It's about) meeting a need that students have."

This year there was no dining facility in Ellis Hall because the hall was only filled to half capacity, meaning there was approximately one person per double room, Nesler said.

"Having no dining hall has made it rather inconvenient at times, Nesler said."

The Academic Village will consist of a new dining center with room for 2,000 people and a big glass wall that overlooks the Front Range mountain view, said Stephen Mitchell, Residence Hall Association senator for Summit Hall and freshman construction management major.

Tearing down Ellis will be good for the community because with the large number of old buildings on campus, prospective students will be excited about better, newer residence halls, Mitchell said.

Sinnwell said the space Ellis Hall leaves behind is a chance to build improved residence halls.

"I think with Ellis coming down it's an opportunity for us to design new residence halls for future generations," Sinnwell said. "We need the space, and Ellis Hall is the space and opportunity."

She thinks the CSU campus community will embrace the idea because the addition will meet new needs students have when it comes to housing.

Mitchell thinks that in the long run, all the renovations on campus will pay off.

"They seem to be getting it done pretty quickly, and then I think it will look a lot nicer once everything's done," Mitchell said.