Authors: Nick Piburn

Going into this weekend, the women's lacrosse players knew that if they played their best lacrosse, they would win.

Whether the team played it's best is unknown, but what is known is that the Rams are the Rocky Mountain Women's Lacrosse League champions after their win over Colorado in the championship game Saturday.

The players also know they will have the chance to win it all at nationals this year; as they clinched a spot in nationals by winning the RMWLL championship.

The Rams began Saturday with a semi-final game against Air Force. The women may not have played their best game, but they took down the Falcons, winning the game 15-7.

"We didn't play our best, we were kind of flat-footed, but we knew what we had to fix for the championship game," said team president Jen Gunlikson.

The other semi-final game matched the Brigham Young Cougars with the Colorado Buffaloes. This game was much closer than the Rams' semi-final game. It was tied 7-7 at halftime, but the Buffs were able to hang on and win 15-10. That set up the match-up of the RMWLL No.1 Rams and No.2 Buffs in the championship game.

"We knew CU was the tougher team, and knew they were the tougher challenge," Gunlikson said. "But it was good because we were preparing to play CU all week in practice."

These two teams matched up a few weeks ago in Boulder, with the Rams pulling away in the second half to beat the Buffs with a 12-7 victory. This game was a little different.

The Rams came out of the gates on fire and showed no mercy to the Buffaloes, dominating the championship game the whole way with a 20-11 victory.

"Everybody played so strong, and contributed so much to the team," Gunlikson said. "Other teams can't just focus on one or two players because everyone is playing so strong. Teams have to try and focus on six or seven attackers, which makes us a lot better."

Not only did the offense perform amazingly, the defense was very strong as well against the Buffs by shutting down CU.

There are still some games left for the women before they go to nationals.

This upcoming weekend, they will travel down to Denver to play a couple post-collegiate teams, including Denver. The Rams' final home game is against Division-III Colorado College on May 6.

Nationals are May 12-15 in Blaine, Minn., which is the same spot as the men's nationals.