Authors: Amanda Havekost

CSU track and field kicked off a weekend of competition with a record-breaking performance at the Glenn Morris Heptathlon.

The two days of heptathlon competition began Thursday. CSU senior Crissy Gourdin broke the CSU, Jack Christiansen Track and Glenn Morris Multi Meet records in the heptathlon.

Gourdin took first in the event and CSU sophomore Katie Lloyd placed second. Lloyd stuck around and placed second in the long jump Saturday.

The CSU track and field teams then capped off a weekend of competition at home taking first and second in the seventh annual Jack Christiansen Invitational in Fort Collins.

The CSU women's team finished first in the meet and the men came in second behind Air Force.

Senior jumper Jacob Benson was a double threat Saturday. Benson beat out the rest and took first place in the long jump and high jump. His leap of 23-11 1/2 almost qualified him for Regionals.

"I was pretty happy," Benson said. "All in all, a good meet."

Freshman Collin Ferguson finished right behind Benson and placed second in the high jump.

Junior Matt Cianciulli won the 1500 meters with a personal best time

Senior thrower, Adam Trainor, placed second in the hammer throw ahead of junior Jace Rivera who placed third.

Sophomore Trey Eder took second in the shot put with a personal best and NCAA Regional qualifying throw.

Freshman Jason Schutz finished the top collegian for the discus with a personal best throw of 168-3 and qualified for NCAA regionals. Schutz finished behind former CSU All-Americans Casey Malone and Brian Trainor.

Junior Paul Michel placed third overall and second among collegians in the 800 clocking in with a season-best time.

For the winning women's team, senior Loree Smith took first in the hammer throw throwing 213-10. Smith has been happy with her performance this season compared to last year.

"I peaked early," Smith said. "This season I'm in a better direction."

Taking first place in the hammer throw wasn't Smith's favorite part of her performance Saturday.

"I'm more excited about my mark," Smith said.

Junior Katie Hansen and junior Jill McCormick took the top two spots in the discus.

Freshmen Rachelle Mims and Linnea Pudwill placed first in their events. Mims was the top finisher in the 100 hurdles and Pudwill was the 5000 champion.

The women's 4×100 meter relay team also finished first.

Junior Amanda Huddleston has made a habit of winning the triple jump. Huddleston won the fourth triple jump competition in five weeks with a jump of 40-11.

Freshman Ashleigh Morton leaped to victory in the pole vault. Morton won after a jump off and beat her personal best by over two feet.

Sophomore Janay DeLoach won the long jump. DeLoach placed second in the 100.

The top four leaps in the high jump belonged to CSU. Junior Crissy Gourdin placed first ahead of freshman Anne McLaughlin.