Authors: Scott Bondy

Nineteen to 7. That's how much CSU has outscored Mountain West Conference opponent New Mexico in four games this season.

With two wins on Saturday, the Rams (29-16, 8-4 in Mountain West) completed the season sweep.

Although the Rams played in a tough atmosphere in Albuquerque, where the Lobos (13-25, 3-8 in MWC) had only lost twice previously, CSU took game 1 by a score of 5-0 and game 2 at 5-2.

Jessica Strickland picked up her team-leading third shut-out victory of the season in game 1. She was provided with plenty of support from the plate. The Rams scored five runs on 10 hits. Steph Roberts was 3-for-4 from the plate with two runs and an RBI.

With the bases loaded in the top of the third inning, sophomore Britney Huerta singled to left field with the bases loaded, scoring two runs and giving CSU a 2-0 lead. The only other scoring came in the fourth, as two costly errors by the Lobos allowed three Rams to score.

Strickland pitched seven innings while giving up six hits and striking out two players. She moved to 11-7 on the year.

Despite efforts by Lindsay Elcess and Kristina Schmallem, both of whom went 2-for-3, the Lobos increased their streak of consecutive scoreless innings to 22.

Roberts shined again from the plate in game 2. She went 2-for-3 with two runs socred.

The Rams jumped out to an early lead with one run in the first and two runs in the third inning. The two runs in the third came from freshman Lauren Cusick, who belted out a two-run shot that made the score 3-0.

That was all the run support the Rams needed to take the victory. New Mexico scored a run in the fourth and sixth innings, but the Rams added insurance in the sixth with two runs on three hits.

Pitcher Genevieve Kelly recorded the victory, going roughly five innings while striking out four batters. She moves to 14-7. Strickland picked up her second save of the year.

CSU continues to lead the conference in hitting and fielding. The team's .316 batting average and .971 fielding percentage are tops in the Mountain West.

The Rams have only eight more games this season before the MWC Tournament begins in San Diego.

Play resumes this Saturday at Rams Field as CSU takes on Utah on Friday and conference-leader Brigham on Saturday.