Authors: Cari Merrill

Even though the men were naturally driven by an inner sense of competition, they remembered that Saturday's flag football tournament was all for charity.

FootBRAWL is a flag football game organized by Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. Mostly fraternities compete, but other groups from the community and CSU were welcomed to participate as well.

Although there were no community groups recruited for this year's game, 13 fraternities and one non-Greek team participated. With an entry fee of $10 per player, the event raised $1,920 for Harmony House, said Melissa Albano, the sorority's philanthropy and FootBRAWL organizer.

The Romans, the only non-Greek team, won the tournament. Second place went to Sigma Chi, and Phi Delta Theta came in third.

The winning team received an ice cream cake from TCBY, key chains and a social exchange with the sorority, Albano said.

The event raises money for Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) and its local branch, Harmony House. CASA is an organization that looks out for the best interest of abused and neglected children in the court system, according to its Web site, www.nationalcasa.org.

Kappa Alpha Theta sponsors a 1-800 phone number for the organization on a national level, according to a press release. Ten percent of the money raised from Saturday's tournament will support the phone line. The remaining 90 percent will go directly to Harmony House, which provides supervised visitation for children with divorced parents as well as a visitation place for children who have been abused or neglected.

Although a lot of participants did not know what the money raised was going to, they knew it was for charity and were enthusiastic about helping out a good cause.

The benefits stretch beyond helping a charity. It is good for the Greek community of CSU as well, said Jacob Christeson, a junior sociology major and member of Tau Kappa Epsilon.

"It's a good way to get the Greek community together," Christeson said.

The sorority tries to get non-Greek organizations involved, but it is sometimes difficult.

"We mainly do it (FootBRAWL) with fraternities. We try and get people from the community to play but it was unsuccessful since we really didn't push it," Albano said.

Registration for the game began before Spring Break, as girls from Kappa Alpha Theta made the rounds to fraternity houses trying to recruit players for this year's tournament.

"From personalities of the girls, we match them with personalities of the (fraternity) houses," Albano said. "It's their responsibility to send out the registration forms, pick up the registration forms, make the team (water) cups, make sure they're here in the morning, bring them breakfast."

The girls who recruit each fraternity stick with the men through the day of the tournament. They act as coaches and team leaders, Albano said.

Kim Zielinski, junior human development and family studies major and member of Kappa Alpha Theta, was one of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity's team coaches.

"It's a good time. It's for a good cause. All proceeds go directly to charity," Zielinski said.