Dreessen goes to the Jets

Authors: Jon Pilsner

Pack your bags, Joel Dreessen. The city that never sleeps has just called your name.

The former CSU tight end will still be dressed in green next football season – the green of the New York Jets, that is.

Dreessen was selected Sunday by the Jets, who used the 198th selection in the fifth round to pick him.

"I am very excited," Dreessen said in a press release from the CSU athletic department. "You always wish it would come (selection) sooner in the draft, but I'm excited."

Dreessen, considered by many draft magazines as one of the top-five tight ends in this year's draft, faced competition from Virginia's Heath Miller and Stanford's Alex Smith. Ten tight ends were drafted in this year's draft; Dreessen was the seventh selected.

Dreessen was a four-year starter at CSU, ending his career this past season with 122 receptions for 1,293 yards and 10 touchdowns. He is a two-time first-team All-Mountain West Conference selection and played in the Senior Bowl all-star game at the conclusion of this past season.

He is also expected to help the Jets on special teams. While at CSU, Dreessen was the Rams' long snapper.

Dreessen is the 43rd CSU player to be either drafted or signed as a free agent in the NFL after being coached by Sonny Lubick.

Several other CSU players had a chance of being drafted, but they will now likely seek free-agent deals with NFL teams.