Summer weather and parties

Authors: Sara Crocker

While spring peeks through the rain clouds earlier this week, more and more students are spending time outside, including attending parties.

After the riots and alcohol-related deaths from earlier this year, the university, the police and the city are working on preventative measures to keep parties from getting out of hand.

Sgt. Jim Hoyne of Fort Collins Police Services said they typically get more calls about parties when the weather starts to warm up. Hoyne said of the parties they are called to, about half of them result in some sort of ticketing, which can range from a noise violation to alcohol-related issues.

Noise violations fines can reach up to $1,000 according to fcgov.com/neighborhoodresources/clc/violations.php.

CSU Police Department Capt. Bob Chaffee said there are stipulations to when a party can be too loud, but the officer also has personal discretion.

Hoyne said if students should encounter an officer from CSUPD or FCPS, they should cooperate fully.

Chaffee agreed. He said if students hear the police are coming to the party, especially a large one, they should just leave.

"If you're there and not leaving, not disbursing, that in itself is a crime," he said.

Ben Goldstein, vice president of Associated Students of CSU, said ASCSU is trying to prevent out-of-control parties like those that led to the riots in the fall.

He and ASCSU President Katie Clausen sent a letter to students asking them to be respectful of other residents. They also provided links to several resources for safer partying. Goldstein said they will send out another e-mail next week. He said he and Clausen are on a riot-prevention committee with the city and the university.

Riot laws were passed in 2002. People convicted of having any role in a riot are not allowed to attend any colleges or universities in the state. Also, penalties can result in as much as six years in jail and up to a $500,000 fine.

"We don't want those (the riots) to happen again," Chaffee said. "I don't want another student to become a statistic."

But, if students get noise violations, nuisance or alcohol-related tickets, the ticket is forwarded to Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services, said Jen Johnson, Off-campus Student Services community liaison.

Johnson said breaking local laws is a violation of the student code of conduct.

"In breaking the law, you're also breaking the university's rules for you," Johnson said.

As a result, students can attend a class, called "Party Partners." Johnson said this class is meant to help students make better choices the next time they are at a party.

To educate students about city ordinances and safe partying, OCSS has put together a "party pack," which is free for students, Johnson said. OCSS has been giving out the packs for about a year.

The packs include: * 2 cans of soda

* 1 party smart t-shirt

* 1 late night programming schedule

* RamRide information

* 1 trash bag

* 1 recycling bag

* 25 "over 21" wristbands

* 16 handouts that can be distributed to neighbors announcing the party

* 1 roll of tape for posting the fliers

* 1 party checklist

* 1 handout outlining common code and ordinance violations

*1 evaluation card

"There's an increased level of responsibility for party hosts," Johnson said.

She said students who plan to throw parties should understand neighborhood expectations, plan a starting and ending time, make sure at least one person is sober, make sure people are parking in the right places, do not let anyone drink and drive and make sure to you know everyone at the party.

Kyle Jones, a sophomore construction management major, said he has parties at his house about once every two weeks. He said they have never had the police called to their house, but he makes sure they know everyone who comes to their house.

"If people show up at our house, they have to know at least one person (that lives there)," he said.

Jones said parties at his house have not been an issue because his neighbors are laid back.

"As long as we don't trash the streets and stuff they're pretty good about it," he said.

Jones said he would not use a party pack.

But, Hoyne said if a party gets out of control, he recommends the host call the police. He said FCPS generally will not cite people if they call first.