Authors: Lila Hickey

A plan to let faculty members buy passes to the Student Recreation Center has upset some members of the Associated Students of CSU, and the proposal was a hot topic at the senate's Wednesday night meeting.

A fee-increase-approval bill required for next year suggested endorsing plans to let faculty members buy recreation center passes. Several senators opposed that section of the bill.

"I don't feel that it was presented to the students or advertised to them enough," said Darcy McNew, senator for applied human sciences.

Instead, McNew suggested the bill specifically state the senate's opposition to faculty passes.

Some warned against changing the bill so drastically.

"I would just urge everybody to talk this over, because it is a stark, 180-degree change from what it was," said ASCSU President-elect Courtney Stephens, director of community affairs.

McNew's suggestion was voted down, but the committee revising the bill was asked to investigate students' opinions.

Dr. Linda Kuk, vice president for student affairs, said Campus Recreation has surveyed students three or four times about allowing faculty in the center.

"All of the surveys indicate that students have no problem with allowing faculty to use the (recreation center)," Kuk said.

But Sen. Robert Sons of the veterinary medicine and biomedical sciences college questioned the fairness of survey questions.

"The question was very biased," he said. "It was four lines long and only the last line said anything about faculty in the center."

Sons said his constituents' responses contradict survey results.

"Nobody has said that they want their teachers working out with them," he said.

The bill also discusses a $10/credit-hour fee for the 2005-2006 year. The fee will be used to repair campus buildings and build new classrooms and facilities.

"Without this fee there's no way to continue to ensure that our facilities are maintained and new facilities are built," Kuk said.

If passed, the bill would demonstrate the senate's approval of the $10 fee and would create a student advisory board to decide how to spend the money. One project – finishing the University Center for the Arts – already has university authorization, although student-fee funding for the $17 million project has not yet been approved.

Without the $10 fee, student fees will rise approximately 4 percent, said Brian Hardouin, a member of the Student Fee Review Board. But when the per-credit fee is added in, assuming the average student takes 15 credits per semester, fees will climb about 36 percent, he said.

Kuk said she would approve the fee package as it stands and predicted CSU President Larry Penley would do the same. Final approval would come from the Board of Governors of the CSU System.

"I'm pretty positive the president will send it to the board," she said.