Authors: Scott Bondy

It only took four hits for the Utah State Aggies to defeat the Rams Thursday. Considering two of those hits were home runs, it was all the Aggies needed.

After beating in-state rival Utah on Wednesday, Utah State (12-23) handed the Rams a 2-1 loss as well.

The win came in dramatic fashion, as Amanda Carver of Utah State hit a walk-off home run – her first of the year – in the bottom of the seventh to give the Rams (25-14) a loss in their first game of a five-game road stretch.

The score was knotted at one heading into the bottom of the seventh, and Carver gave the Aggies the win with the solo shot.

CSU senior catcher Kerry Farrell continued her outstanding season by going 4-for-4 from the plate with one RBI.

CSU had 12 hits on the game but couldn't produce runs, stranding 13 runners on base. Junior pitcher Jaycee Wood started the game for the Rams, going five innings while allowing only two hits. Junior Genevieve Kelly came into the game in the sixth inning and gave up the game-winning home run. She took the loss, moving to 11-6 on the year.

Utah State designated hitter Heather Haak was 2-for-3 in the game, with one of her hits being a bomb over the left-field wall in the second inning.

Erica Hancock started the game for the Aggies and gave up 11 hits. She was replaced by Heather Straight, who got her first win of the year.

The Rams continue their stretch of games in Utah with a doubleheader versus Mountain West Conference leader Brigham Young today. Another pair of games against Utah will follow on Saturday.

Policy