Rams lose match to Pioneers

Authors: Nate Ramos

Walking into its last home match of the season, the CSU tennis team wanted to beat No. 46 Denver for bragging rights. But after being swept in doubles competition, the team fell behind and were not able to recover, losing 6-1.

In doubles competition the Rams faced a difficult rival in No. 28 Yanick Dullens and Suzana Maksovic. The duo took an early lead against CSU's Anne Anderson and Emily Kirchem, a lead that it never relinquished. The Pioneers continued their victories against Jessica Jones and Carla Pallares. DU took an early lead in the match 4-1. The Rams fought back to make the match 6-3 but came up short.

After the remainder of doubles play, a short intermission took place in which CSU's leaving seniors, Alexandra Paganetti and Dasha Zhurin, were awarded flowers to commemorate their four years with Rams tennis.

"Being here for four years was good and I will miss it," Paganetti said. "I will miss my teammates and being with them all the time."

Zhurin, who came to CSU after going to high school in town at Fort Collins High School, echoed Paganetti.

"I will miss all my teammates," Zhurin said. "I think I will also miss the home matches we always get a good crowd."

In singles competition the story was similar. The Rams lost the first set in every singles match.

CSU's Jessica Jones came close to making a comeback in singles but lost 6-2, 7-6 (3). Alex Paganetti nearly made a comeback but fell short 6-4, 7-5. Anne Anderson continued her winning streak as she got the only CSU point despite being down early. She made several comebacks in her match and won 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (12).

"We gave it our best but we are a little bit burned out from this weekend," Zhurin said. "Some points could have been closer and could have gone either way. But they are a strong team. The score may not show it but we played them really tough."

The Rams have one more game this season. They will play against Northern Colorado at 2:30 p.m. April 19 in Greeley. After that, the Rams will begin the Mountain West Conference Championships on April 28 in San Diego, Calif.