Authors: Nate Ramos

After a road trip in which the Rams won two of three matches, CSU came back home this weekend only to lose two matches and win one.

The first match took place Friday against Texas-El Paso, which came into the match with a seven-match losing streak. With team senior captain Dasha Zhurin not playing doubles because injury, freshman Anne Anderson worked with sophomore Emily Kirchem and led the Rams to a 9-7 doubles match win.

After winning the doubles point, the Rams went to singles, where Zhurin returned to play but lost in straight sets. After that, the Rams won the rest of their singles matches, except for junior Jessica Jones, who lost to UTEP's Teri Wilkerson 1-6, 7-6, 1-0 (6). The end result of the match was a 5-2 score for the Rams.

On Saturday, CSU faced No. 39 UNLV and lost by a team score of 6-1. The Rams struggled against their conference opponent and won only two matches. The first win was in doubles, where Jones and junior Carla Pallares defeated Linda Tempelfelde and Anne Clair Ortiz-Luis 9-8 (6). The second win was when Anderson defeated Sharon Marin 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (8). But Anderson's win was not without controversy.

In the middle of the second set, with Anderson leading, play stopped. UNLV's Marin had a disagreement with the score and did not want to continue play until the matter was settled. After several minutes, the decision was made to replay the point and play resumed.

"We need to play every point for its worth and forget about the actual score," Pallares said.

On Sunday, the weekend's last match took place against No. 40 SDSU. The Rams came very close to winning, but lost 4-3.

In doubles competition, the Rams were defeated in every match. But in singles the Rams fought back. Zhurin fell behind early in the match, but she won her second set and forced a third set, only to fall 6-3. Kirchem won her match in two sets, Anderson won after forcing a third set and winning 6-2, Paganetti won after forcing a tiebreaker. Overall, the Rams took five-of-six singles matches into a third set or tiebreaker, but they fell short in both matches.

"I think we did really well this week," Pallares said. "There were a lot of injured players, but we gave every team a hard time."

The Rams next match will be a home match against No. 46 Denver at 2 p.m. Wednesday.